Severe hiccups

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 24 subscribers

Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!! I just cane across this forum and thought I would ask if anyone has had experiences with very severe hiccups. My father who was diagnosed with stage three can er a little over 2 years has recently been struggling hugely with them. Since his FG, he has has had a round of chimo, then a surgery for bowelobstruction in October 2019 and then another one in April 2020, during which the surgeon found a huge number of adhesions that were later partially explained by cancer cells in the peritoneum for which he has gone through another round of chimo. While he is cancer free currently, the hiccups which originally started just before his second ileus surgery have been worsening since and are particularly bad in the past month. He is barely eating anything as he is very afraid of getting another hiccup episode, which only goes away when he eventually manages to throw up some acid juices.

Long story short, I was wondering if anyone here has any similar experiences and can shed some light on reasons and how we can be helped. How much of this is distressed nervous system, vagus nerve etc. and how much is this due to his bowel being in such a dire state.

Thanks a mill

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your father is being troubled with hiccups to the extent that he is barely eating anything for fear of the hiccups starting again. This must be very distressing for him.

Do you know if he's spoken to his CNS about this as they may be able to prescribe or recommend something for him? I'm sure they'd be concerned to know that he's hardly eating.

If you type 'hiccups' into the search bar in this group you'll find quite a few posts which mention it. You could have a read through them and respond to any of the recent posters if you think they be able to help you further.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your father's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I hope he can get the hiccups resolved soon

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"