Inoperable linitus plastica

• 6 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Feeling heartbroken, my dad had been diagnosed with stomach cancer that is inoperable. He is starting pallative chemo tomorrow. He is quite well ATM no pain just feels full very quick & sick after eating. He is 86 & generally healthy. I am worried the chemo is going to knock him for six. Anyone with similar experience or words of advice. Good or bad will be much appreciated x

• Hi, I’m sorry to hear your news, I hope the treatment doesn’t make your dad too unwell, take care 

• Hi. While I’m a bit younger than your Dad (50) I have also been diagnosed with Linitis Plastica. It’s considered advanced as spread to the peritoneum was picked up in my laproscopy. 

i started palliative chemo in June of this year. I’m now on round 6 of 8 of Capox. I had a scan in late August which showed the chemo was working - the thickness of my stomach wall has decreased from 1.2 cm to .9. 

Chemo affects everyone differently and it will also depend on the type of chemo. I have an infusion every 3 weeks (including immunotherapy) and pills every day. 

I’ve suffered from a rash and colitis, however the one consistent side effect has generally been fatigue and tiredness. The other side effects have possibly been considered a result of immunotherapy which has then been put on hold for a cycle.

In regards to advice, just be patient and understand he will likely be very tired. It’s a rollercoaster as each cycle may be different in terms of how he’s feeling. 

• I am 68 and also have stomach cancer  (adenocarcinoma)  which has spread to my peretoneum,  like your dad i am inoperable and it it classed as incurable.  I had a stent fitted in my pyloric as my cancer was obstructing the outlet causing bloating discomfort and sickness . I am now on my 3rd of 6 3 weekly treatments and  starting my 4th next week..With regards to chemo everyone is different ie type of treatment and side effects ect. I am on chemo and immunotherapy , Oxaliplatin  and  nivalumab and also a daily oral dosage of 2000mg of capecitabine.. my first treatment produce only minor side effects , but the severity increased with each course..my side effects include fatigue which is the worst , neuropathy which causes tingling and numbness in feet and hands and also a sensitivity to cold meaning anything from the fridge can be very uncomfortable.... He probably will find the side effects will fade after the first 7 -10 days ..so drink plenty  , eat little and often this will help bloating , I have anti-sickness and also sachets of a anti constipation medicine again to keep you regular , I hope this allays your fears but please understand these tips are from my experience so far and everyone is different.  I hope you dad gets on OK..

• Thank you so much for your kind words x

• Thank you so much for the advice. I am sorry to hear you are so poorly Cry  you are so young. Your words are encouraging though. Dad has his first round of chemo at the hospital yesterday & he was ok last night just felt a little sick & tired. You stay strong & keep fighting you have got this

• Thank you so much for the advice. Dad has his first round of chemo at the hospital yesterday & he was ok last night just felt a little sick & tired. You stay strong & keep fighting Muscle  x