Vomiting after a total gastrectomy

• 4 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi all

my mum has had a TG after 7 rounds of FLOT in July last year. Since December she has been having throat spasms after eating and she would regurgitate some “phlegm”. Recently this has progressed to vomiting after eating. The spasms can last for up to an hour. She has had two CT scans (standard three monthly) and one endoscopy to check this and it seems fine/ no recurrence. Has anyone else had this issue? She takes metoclopramide for this (2x/day any more and she’s drowsy). I feel like the timing of it a is a bit weird. Has anyone had this issue or know how to make it better? Makes it really hard for her to maintain her weight and is just awful to see her struggle. 

• Hi Nnnnn, my husband has similar problems. He also had a total gastrectomy in October 2021. He has difficulties eating since then but worse over the last few months and struggling to keep his weight. Sometimes a spoonful of food causes spasms and pain and then he has to vomit, only phlegm comes up. It can take an hour until he feels comfortable to try eating again. He has tried metoclopramide but has not made much difference. He was investigated with scans and endoscopy and no reason found. We have found anything  more flavoursome or had any pepper in it would upset him. He is much better with bland home cooked food mainly thick soups and eating very slowly. He can’t tolerate cold food or drinks either and I warm water and keep it in a flask, make warm custard and leave yogurts out to reach room temperature. At the same time it is strange how he can tolerate other foods eg pop corn! We concluded that it must be related to the surgery. It is all trial and error but makes them very wary of food when at the same they need to put on/maintain their weight. I wish your mother all the best.

• Thanks for your reply Mystic and for talking about your husbands experiences. It’s so horrid to see, but thank you for your advice. I think we’re gonna try metaclopromide 30 mins before eating at least until 21st when she has an appointment with the surgeon. If he says anything helpful I’ll be sure to let you know x

• Hi Mystic

just wanted to tell you that my mums surgeon thinks it’s dysmotility and she will see a neurophysiotherapist for it in case it is helpful for your husband maybe he can do the same x

• Hello Nnnnn, this is very interesting, please keep me updated about what this involves and what the outcome is. Kind regards x