Stomach Cancer - Linitis Plastica

• 5 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi all,

My mother got diagnosed with Linitis Plastica about 3 weeks ago, but has been suffering for over 3 months with symptoms. The cancer has now spread and they are only offering FOLFOX as a palliative chemo. She has also had her markers checked and it seems immunotherapy may not be an option for trying as well. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience of only being offered chemo, but managed to get further treatment and how they went about this? I am aware there are some trials nationwide and targeted drugs can be affected to extend her prognosis. Luckily, she is strong and is okay atm, so hoping the chemo will reverse some of the current symptoms with her swallowing. 

Any information is extremely grateful (even if not related to this type of cancer) 

• Hi Chrissywod,

I am very sorry to hear that you've found yourself here and are going through such a tough time. I am afraid I can't offer much in what further treatment will be offered (hopefully more knowledgeable people on this forum can!) but my Mum is in a very similar position to yours, has had terrible symptoms for a few months, and has been offered chemo. I understand there may also be some targeted drugs she could be given also but am not too sure! Unfortunately, she has been told she cannot have surgery and also her cancer isn't suitable for immunotherapy.

We just have to hope the chemo improves things and take things a day at a time. I'm glad to hear your Mum is strong and doing okay and I wish her and yourself and your family all the very best and strength xx 

• Hi EnjoyBagels,

Thanks for your message and sorry to hear you are in a similar position. It is a horrible scenario, but we have to all stay strong and leave no stones unturned. I have read so many forums and articles of success stories, so we are holding onto every little bit of hope. 

I agree, lets hope the Chemo works for both our families and we can enjoy some valuable time with our loved ones!

I also hope we get more responses from this forum that may assist us in trying to seek further treatment in the future. If the chemo does not work initially, I have found quite a lot of references to suggest if the first concoction of chemo is not suitable, then this can be adapted and hopefully it will give better results, so never stop the fight. Unfortunately, in the UK the chemo is not tailored to individuals and their cancers, so its a trial and error process. 

I will keep you posted if I get any further leads and good luck to you and you your mum! keep strong and keep fighting! 

• Hi Chrissywod,

Absolutely, we have to keep hope and hearing of any positive stories helps a lot moving forward and just getting through what is a terribly stressful time. I hope we both get as much time as possible.

It's good to hear you've read about the possibility of changing the chemo in the UK, it is a bit of a worry thinking that this chemo may be the only option. As I understand it, this first chemo offer is a bit of a standard one that is used for other cancers also. My Mum's oncology team is also looking into if this is possibly genetic (another worry for another time!)

I will also keep you posted if I hear anything more also and share my Mum's experience further on down the line if it helps anyone! I hope your Mum keeps strong and can get started on the chemo asap! Take care xx

• Hi EnjoyBagels,

Yes, I do also believe it is a standard mix, most likely due to the shear amount of people now having to have chemo. The health care system is struggling to keep up. We also have the genetics team looking into this for us too, but as you say, that is a worry for another time. With advancements and the amount of trials being undertaken now, I really do feel things will change in the near future. This is why i want to keep my mother as strong as possible for as long as possible in the hope something will pop up. 

One recommendation I can make (depending on your location in the UK), is to check out the Christie hospital in Manchester. This is one of the best facilities in Europe (solely for cancer) and they do offer 1st, 2nd and 3rd stage trials, so it may give you further hope, if the standard chemo does not work. You can get a referral for a second opinion from your GP. Their website is very good as well. 

My mother starts her treatment tomorrow, so my fingers are crossed. Please do keep me posted and good luck!!

• Hi Chrissywod,

Yes, I've heard some shocking stories now from Mum about the long waiting times at A&E and how much strain the nurses and doctors are under at the minute. We are grateful though of course for the NHS and I wish it could have all the funds it needs!

I feel the same, it gives me hope to see the clinical trials that exist and pop up and am avoiding looking at statistics because everyone is individual and there have been advancements and improvements for all cancers in recent years. Thank you for your recommendation to check out Christie hospital, I certainly will do!

Sending virtual support to your Mum! I hope she's getting through her first course of treatment all okay and fingers crossed that the side effects are limited! I will certainly do and please do also, I think hearing of other people's experiences and knowing we're not the only ones is so helpful xx