It’s been 10 months

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 16 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I’ve not been on here for a while. I’ve been keeping busy. But life is just so hard. Should I be getting braver by now? I still cry if anyone talks about my hubby so just try and avoid talking about him. He passed away just 11 days after his diagnosis and had no treatment. Covid has changed the world and I’ve hidden away. In my garden when the weather was good. I lost our family dog too in June which felt like another big blow. I’ve got another dog immediately and I love him far too much. A puppy who keeps me busy. Life feels empty 

• Hi my husband passed in august so im just trying to get by each day, i have good few days then back down to square one, iv been thinking of getting a dog for company as im on my own but iv never had a dog before ,do you think it would be a good thing to do?x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Joysue

Hello. I am so sorry for your loss. August is very recent so day by day is all you can possibly do. I am still on a day by day basis too. I am learning to be kind to myself as I felt I needed to pull myself together and get on with life but I couldn’t face it. For me a puppy has been the best thing I have done. The first decision I made by myself too. He is brilliant company, my shadow, and the reason I get up every day. He brings a routine for me, gets me out walking and I have met new people who I can just speak to without them saying they are sorry for my loss or ask me how I’m doing (which is the worst question for me). People I meet either out walking or at the puppy training classes I’ve signed up for.  He really has been the best decision I’ve made. I talk to him and he reads my mood wonderfully. He’s a loyal breed and I love him to bits.  He has got me through the last few months in a way I know I couldn’t have done on my own. I recognise however I am a bit obsessed and boring about him to my friends but they are kind and listen and see how he’s lifted my spirits.  

I would say getting a dog is a big commitment. A new 10 year (at least) relationship. Puppies are also hard work initially. Do some research about size, breed etc to find a breed that fits your lifestyle and being a first time dog owner.  The kennel club website has some good info. Once you have found a breed that you think may suit you there will probably be a Facebook page you can join to hear what other owners say. Alternatively If you are thinking of a rescue dog find one to match you.

for me it’s the best thing so I would encourage you.  If you have time and the motivation go for it!  Good luck  

• Your walk looked lovely, better weather than we have had here today! What breed is your dog Poppy51?

Joysue, I’m so sorry for your loss, it is early days and it’s horrible. My dog has been a blessing for me, such good company but I have always had dogs. They are a massive commitment but totally worth it in my opinion. Poppy has given good advice about choosing the right breed for you. 
    One of my friends has a rescue dog who was in a very bad state when she got him, he is a fantastic pet now but it took a lot of hard work and patience to get there.

• Thanks for the good advice im going to do loads of reserch then maybe get a dog after xmas, i dont want a big dog as my backs not brill and it would prob pull me over! Its the nights i think would bb hard with a puppy as i dont sleep that good, and i wouldnt want to be up in the night with a puppy as well , it would be nice to have some company tho so i think i will get one, maybe king charles spaniel or cockapoo il read up on it,take care and thanks xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Joysue

Hello both. My dog is a Black Russian terrier. Unusual breed but I love him and just right for me. I wanted a large breed to feel safe. I am assuming you have a sausage dog Sausagedog1 is that right? They are the cutest dogs.  Sounds a good approach JoyceSue.  Puppies disturbing you at night is very short term. Most settle really soon. Enjoy your research xx

• Hi, I’d never heard of that breed but have googled it and he will be a very big dog won’t he? They do look very nice.

My dog is indeed a dachshund! He has lost a bit more weight and is now 9.6kg so almost half way there, which I’m really pleased about.

Hope you are both ok tonight. I’ve been lucky enough to go to the theatre tonight with a friend, very different but well organised.

Take care xx