Eating and drinking post gastrectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi all,

My husband had a total gastrectomy in October, now finished chemo and eating really well (fairly normally now except portion size), minimal symptoms/dumping but we were very careful at 1st.

For those of you down the line - does there come a point when you can eat and drink at the same time?

Now wanting to enjoy a glass of wine with a meal but was told at time of op that he couldn’t drink 20-30mins either side of eating. He is worried about diarrhoea.

Interested in views (on our 1st holiday post treatment in Mallorca and would be good to enjoy eating and drinking together!)

Thanks.

• Hi

I had a partial gastrectomy in January and have a glass of wine with food when I am out.  It’s over a longer period of time than when eating at home and it’s been fine.  

I usually skip the starter and start drinking the glass of wine while my husband has a starter.  I then have a smaller main course.

I tried a small glass at home before trying it when we were eating out.  The only thing I noticed is I feel the effects of the wine quicker!

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had a total gastrectomy in Aug 15. I have a glass of wine with a meal although I take my time and make it last. I have been married 35yrs but my husband says he’s keeping me because I am cheap to take out as I have a small portion or a children’s meal and 1 glass of wine. Ha ha. Jac was right when she said that you will feel the effects much quicker. My first holiday abroad was also in Majorca. I had printed the card in Spanish from the OPA asking for a child’s portion and all the restaurants were so accommodating offering me the option of a small portion or something from the child’s menu. Hope you enjoy your holiday. 

Take care

Donna. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Ladies x

• FormerMember

Hello. I had my total gastrectomy in June 18. I can have some drinking with the meals but need to keep the balance between both eating and drink. You get to know yourself better with time and what can and cannot do. 

Can I ask what is the OPA? And where can I find the letter? Thanks

• FormerMember

Hi. In answer to your question the OPA is Oesophageal Patients Association. They deal with both Oesophageal and stomach cancers. They can be found online.  If you contact them they will send you an information pack which includes the cards to show in restaurants. Hope this helps. 

Take care

Donna. Xx

• FormerMember

Thank you Donna xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had my operation in August and like you have been cautious about eating and drinking together. Can now manage

to drink a bottle of Budweiser or tea when eating no problem, no diarrhoea or anything, just take your time with it.

Can also eat medium sized portions now and like you practically no dumping now. 

• FormerMember

That’s great, thanks Pat01