Angry and upset with mum’s consultant

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My mum was diagnosed with bladder cancer almost a year ago. She’s been let down every step of the way. She recently had scans to see if her treatment had been at all successful and she was waiting for her appointment in 2 weeks with her oncologist to find out the results. She is also under a urologist because she has bilateral nephrostomies. He is seeing her next week for a consult after a cystoscopy and to discuss next steps with the nephrostomies. He called her at 7pm on Monday evening to tell her the scans show lesions on her lungs. She has had no previous spread and her oncologist was confident that treatment would be successful as surgery isn’t an option. My mum lives alone in Wales and I live on the Isle of Man. I am absolutely disgusted that she was given this news over the phone when she has nobody with her. We are devastated and more so because I can’t be there to support her. 

• Hello I feel your pain. I live abroad and mum has terminal breast cancer. I try to get to the UK as much as possible but my husband also has cancer so I am torn between the two. I feel my mum has been badly let down every step of the way too and is now dealing with a brain tumour and blindness and still they dont even want to bring forward her next scan. The biggest problem for us is when there is a crisis which keeps happening we end up calling an ambulance because we cant get hold of the Macmillan nurse or breast care team, it is all call centres and answer phones with hollow promises of calling back.