Seeing This From Both Sides Of The Bed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi,

My husband, Gerry, was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and had a stem cell transplant in 2007.  For 11 wonderfully challenging years I was his primary caregiver as he fought his way back to some semblance of health.  Being a caregiver wasn't a picnic, but I learned early on that the hardest thing to deal with were the expectations that I was putting on MYSELF. 

Once I was able to accept my humanity, and the mistakes that come with that, I realized that caregivers don't have to be perfect, just caring.  Ironically, that seemed to make me a better caregiver.

Last Aug I myself was diagnosed with High grade b-cell lymphoma with MYC and Bcl-2 arrangements, and my husband and I switched roles. 

Sadly, Gerry passed away in late October from a heart attack.  At that time I was undergoing high dose, strong chemo and wasn't able to be with him, arrange the memorial service or even attend it.  My 22 & 23 year old children did all of the arrangements, and thus they have stepped into the caregiver role.  I am grateful and fortunate, and have a long road ahead of me with my own recovery.

I hope that my own experience as a caregiver has made me a more understanding patient.  If I ruled the world, I'd insist that EVERYONE do a turn as a caregiver, I think it would make each of us more aware of how connected we all are.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Modeknit,

Just wanted to reply and say Wow.. you've been dealt a tough hand, and I'm so sorry for your loss, and for your own health issues. 

It sounds like Gerry was very lucky to have you xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

You know, I was the lucky one to have Gerry.

I miss him like crazy, but we had an amazing life together, and I have two amazing kids that remind me of all of his good qualities.  I know I've had a lot of crappy stuff happen in the past year, but overall I've been dealt a pretty decent hand, I can't complain.  

Now if only I could walk again!