Caring for husband with terminal bowel cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 42 subscribers

We were told on Monday that the treatment isn’t working now and to get our affairs in order. How do you manage when loved one feels so poorly and you’re not a health professional. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello SMH,

My wife has advanced breast cancer and she has been fighting it on and off for nearly 7 years. She has had chemo 6 different types of chemo and just started the sixth last Thursday, all we can hope for with the chemo is to slow the cancer. 

I take my lead from my wife and she keeps giving me instruction on what to and not to do when she is no longer with us. 2 years ago she got me to take out an over 50’s life insurance so I had enough for funeral, she has told what music she wants and what to be cremated in. Our daughter is pregnant and the baby is due in March I am hoping my wife will still be around. 

From a purely  selfish point if view I am dreading the loneliness and perhaps forging new relationships if it comes to that. 

Sorry I haven’t really answered your question, I suppose you need to look at the practical stuff such as wills and finances. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks. Seven years is a long journey. Your wife and yourself seem to be a good team.

Having a grandchild to pour your love into will help I’m sure. 

You’re not selfish, though I know how you feel. Sometimes I just want it over with to live what’s left of my life.

Thanks for replying