A Delicate Subject

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Apologies in advance for the subject matter, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with comodes?

I have a weak stomach, straight honesty. Dealing with the urine side of things isn't an issue but dealing with steaming heaps of poo and I am gagging, eyes watering, stumbling my way through the clean-up process trying so hard not to be sick.

What do I do? How do I cope with this? Nose peg? Seriously though, this is going to become an issue really fast and if anyone has tricks of the trade they can share for getting on with it I would be hugely grateful Slight smile

• There is a very easy way to overcome most of the problem - breathe only through your mouth.

While this won't totally eliminate the issue, it gets rid of almost all of it.

It might take you a while to master the art of keeping your mouth open because you will still initially have the fear of being sick. Practice it while you are cooking and you should be surprised at how much less of the food aroma actually gets through.

HTH
    Ewen :-)

The day after your journey ends, the sun will still rise.
    As will you.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to panic

Thank you for that. I will give it a try Slight smile

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

Don't feel that you ever have to apologise for coming on and talking about poo and the smell it brings with it, we all at some time are guilty of a really smelly one, and can understand how the aroma can make your eyes water whilst you try not to gag.

I wonder if your partners poo has started to smell since his diagnosis or has it been a lifelong condition as if it has just started recently it could be down to some of the medication he is taking.

I was about to ask you about his diet but before I started this I had a look back at your earlier posts and found that your partner was have trouble swallowing so his choice of food was very limited, has anything changed and he is eating more solid foods. Unfortunately some foods are prone to making poo smell because they contain sulphur which our bodies need and we can't eliminate them from our diets completely but if you were able to keep a food diary recording everything he eats and what it does to his smell you may get some answers. It's unfortunate that the foods that are good for us also can cause these smells.

What can we do to help you stop gagging apart from suggesting wearing a mask of some sort which could upset your partner.

Have you thought about leaving a small amount of water in the bowl after you clean it out so that when he has to go it's just like the toilet bowl there is water for the poo to fall into, maybe would make the cleaning easier, also have you thought about adding something like VIPoo into the bowl. A quick blast from an air freshener into the bowl before you do your dash to the toilet might mask the smell for a little while, I take it the commode bowl has a lid on it.

I read recently that someone was suggesting that applying a little dab of Vicks Vapour rub under the nostrils helped to mask the smell

If your can also try lining the bowl with toilet tissue before your partner sits down, this might make it easier to clean it out

Another trick we use over in poo corner, sorry the stoma support group, is the lighting of matches or candles in the bathroom to mask the smell after we've emptied our pouches.

I don't suppose that the commode that is being used could take a similar disposable bowl to the ones used in hospitals where you could just empty as much of the poo into the toilet then put the bowl into a yellow clinical waste sack for your local council to collect for incineration, this depends on local rules and your local council and your doctor should be able to advise you.

Another thing I should mention that smelly poo can be an indication of something else and if it's a new experience have a word with your doctor next time you see him.

I hope that something in the above will be of interest to you and you find a solution very soon.

Keep in touch with us, let us know how you are getting on,  the carers group is just a big family and we all try to support each other and if the worst comes to the worst it's a very safe place to come on to have a rant and rave or just let off steam if you've has a bad day, we are also here it you need a chat, I know that you've got 4 grown up children but sometimes you just need a place to get things off your chest and we're here to listen to you, our door is never closed just walk in at anytime.

Ian

• Hi,

i haven’t posted for some time but to add my 5 pennyworth, the water with a drop of disenfectant In helps and if you go for Zoflora type it is not too “clinical”. Vick under the nose also helps I’m told.

x

Take a deep breath ... then on with the day.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you everyone for your tips xx