Guilt

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I was a caregiver for my husband, who had multiple myeloma, for 12 years.

Last October I lost him to a heart attack, he died in a hospital room 90 miles away from me, alone.  I am finding it hard to forgive myself for not being there, for not doing more.

A few months before Gerry passed I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma, and at the time of his death I was undergoing some pretty severe chemo and couldn't physically raise my head from my pillow.  At that same time he was experiencing pullmonary symptoms that alarmed us, so we contacted a cardiologist at the Mayo Clinic (where he had been undergoing treatments for Multiple Myeloma)

It seemed like a good decision at the time, but on reflection I wish we would have found a cardiologist locally, in St. Paul, MN, which has many excellent hospitals.

As I write this, even as I think it, I KNOW how silly it sounds.  Of course I couldn't do more than I was able at the time.

But the guilt of being a caregiver and feeling you haven't done enough can be overwhelming.

I'm currently recovering from Lymphoma.  Walking is very difficult as I have peripheral neuropathy in both legs (numb from my toes to my waist) and I will always deal with severe pain in my back from several cracked vertibrae caused by a large tumor in my spine.

Thanks for listening.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Granny Sue

Hi Sue

I'd like to jump in on the question of eating out, it's a pity that you are deprived from eating out because Bill doesn't like having smaller meals perhaps you could pass on to him from me that there is no shame in asking for a smaller meal in restaurants or ordering from the children's menu, if available.

I ordered recently off the Beefeater children's menu without a problem in fact I got the impression that it was a normal occurrence.

It does have its drawbacks in MacDonalds when you ask for a Happy meal and you get a toy to take home or if the restaurant hands out drawing paper and pencils to everyone who orders off the children's menu, now that's embarrassing.

I have a card that I can show to restaurants explaining why I need to order a smaller meal.

My mother used to always order small meals without any problem and I have a friend who also does it so it's not an unusual request.

Just a suggestion to all in the same position have you tried a divided plate where you can put a small portion of the meal into the different compartments it may give the impression that it's a small meal and as the components are separate, if one is not wanted it won't have "contaminated" the other items, you could have the potatoes, vegetable and meat in the different sections and if you get a larger plate you might even get the jelly and ice cream on the plate separately. Just a suggestion.

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

If I can add to the above if you're having trouble getting your partners to eat for any reason From our friends in the US of A 

comes a selection of smoothies that might appeal to your partners, you could make a full portion but only serve half a cup and put the other half in the fridge for another day.

Most of the fruits and vegetables are available in the frozen food cabinets which reduces waste.

It might be a good idea if we all started to share recipes that we've tried and found successful.

I recently posted in another group the things you can do with drinks like Fortisip and other similar products they can be mixed with other foods items to make puddings, sauces and many other dishes including ice cream and jelly!

Ian

• Hi Jane, wishing a speedy recovery recovery from your oncoming surgery and really hope you get back to caring for mum when you are strong enough. I am sure she knows how much you miss caring for her. Be kind to yourself though as you are the main person who makes it all happen! Keep in touch if you would like to, let us know how you are, and have a moan if necessary. I would love to hear from you. Love pam xx

Love is eternal
  • Thank you so much Pam,I really appreciate the support.Love Jane xx