Coping with up and down moods

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi not posted here ,have joined and looked to conversations.My husband of 23years was diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer a year past December .He has had radiotherapy a stent to help with his eating and Chemotherapy.At moment it has stabilised things go back to Oncology in June.Just finding hard coping with his up and down moods.Feel at times pushed out want him to open up more about feelings and feel it has affected our emotional and physical relationship.How long after chemo can effect Energy levels .Want him to come to Maggie but he’s a bit of a mans man not his thing 

• Hi  and welcome to Carers although I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Ah, yes, moods. From what other members have said, so often men just don't talk about their feelings and that's the difference between us. We women are happy to talk feelings with our friends. My husband will talk to his friends who have also had cancer but not so much to me and I respect his choice. Yes, it has a massive impact on emotions, energy levels and physical relationships and it can take a long time for things to settle. You can't change your husband but perhaps you can  you could go to the Maggies Centre yourself? It might help a lot for you to get support; as carers we so often neglect ourselves. There might be other local groups you could go to as well, any help you can get is worth going for. 

Hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LoobyLou49

Thanks for your support ,The Maggies Centre here are amazing I have went for chat and coffee when I had to take some time off work,Also yoga and relaxion was helpful.Ups and downs can be really hard trying to be positive as he is well at moment .We have Oncology in June and hopefully all will be stable .Sending positive thoughts to you and your hubby x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi hope yourself and your husband are doing well,  my mum had a stent to help with her eating 2 weeks ago she has stomach cancer. It is really hard watching them go through it and also the mood swings. This is all new to me but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone, we have to continue to think positive things will get better.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for your reply.He is keeping well at moment and is looking healthy just hoping that is a good sign .Back to Oncology in middle of June hoping that his tumour is still stable no new cancer cells.Think he is worried for next appointment and this is on his mind a lot affecting his mood .Keeping positive The Oncology dept are excellent in Dundee. .Hope your mum has some relief with her stent it has definitely helped with his ability to eat xx