RETREATING

• 3 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi all. Im 18months into losing My darling wife Anne from pancreatic cancer. Im 75.  And since then I've been able to some what converse and associate with friends and  people affectively, albeit much of the time behind the smile of the clown. However more recently I lost a fellow widower close friend to a stroke just before the recent strict lock down. We bounced off of each other so well, he having lost his wife a few months before Anne. Now, two other close friends in our street and in my bubble as carers are moving away. They've been so kind to me throughout. Im now left with one other widower mate a few houses away but I dont really click with him like the others albeit by phone now due again to the lock down. What Im noticing  is Im slowly retreating into myself. Its an effort to communicate with anyone these days even with acquaintances on FB,  plus one true friend  whom I communicate regularly with through Facebook Messanger. I no longer want commitments.  The bottom line is I havnt the energy for anyone anymore.  And so despite the lock down Im gradually retreating into myself. Withdrawing from the world.  HAS ANYONE else experienced this? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Geoff

I lost my hubby in dec but I can relate to retreating into myself withdrawing from the world but you has also lost your support network for me it’s a finding people that I feel safe with who understand and I am only 56 so can’t really relate to my friends as the only widow and not wanting to put my grief on them x so I can only say if you want to talk I am here xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi both,

Yes I have retreated a little bit early stages for me too. Lost my hubby 9 weeks ago. He was 52 and I was 46 when he died (now 47, so got through one of the ‘firsts’).

Friends and family are great but no one gets it. I have joined something called WAY (widowed and Young) who are proving to be a huge support, and I’m waking each day as therapy for me. Whatever works for us I guess. 

It’s bloody awful but I’m determined to keep going for my husband as he would want me to. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Geoff sorry for the loss of your friend I know you had a good mate there to help each other through the toughest of times . I totally get the retreating kinda withdrawing I'm guilty to I'm just past 2years and do struggle at 58 , I hope you can find a way geoff you are wise and always have a strength of knowledge to get through these bumps in our lives once lockdown is over and sunshine is here I do wish you better days .