The TV Series Afterlife.

• 5 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Dear All,

Last night I watched the entire series both Seasons  1 and 2 of Afterlife written, produced and acted in by Ricky Gervais. For those of you who havnt seen it the main character Tony has recently lost his wife to breast cancer. Gervais performance was a masterpiece. His every thought and behaviour matched all that I have, and still am, experiencing. I freely admit I sobbed my heart out whilst watching and at one stage thought that it wasn't healthy for me to continue. But I pressed on. Its amazing how much locked up grief I shed. I reviewed memories that I realise now I had unconsciously put away as being too painful to remember. Today I feel much lighter for the experience. Im not saying its tackled my grief as I cant see that ever going away because I was with my soulmate Anne for 50yrs and loved her beyond comprehension. 

Geoff x

• Hi Geoff. I watched it a while ago. Really true to how we feel. I also cried through it , but also laughing as well. 
    and no I don’t think the grief and loneliness will ever leave us. 
    take care. 

Love you always Winnie xx
  • Hi Michael

I agree there were a few hilariously funny scenes on After Life. Specially the guy posting his letters in a dog waste bin LOL

Geoff 

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Hi Geoff. Nice to hear from you again , it doesn’t get any easier does it. 
    how are you keeping. 

Love you always Winnie xx
  • People (Non bereaved) have suggested this to me but I have avoided it. But you have made me re-think. 

• Hi Mick

After 15months Im beginning to struggle again. Last week I was at my lowest ebb. Research has told me that the second year of bereavement can be harder than the first as our mind finally realises that our beloved ones are not coming back and we are  alone forever in life without them.  Its hit me like a brick in the face. If it wasn't for our children ( Both in their late 40's now) I would seriously consider ending my life as it no longer has an true meaning. Plus the children have lives of their own so I serve no constructive purpose apart from just being here when they visit.

Geoff 

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.