My Healing Greyhound

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi everyone.  Between my wife dying 13th February, my dog recently dying of liver disease and throw in Covid 2020 has been the pits.  However, recently I took in a 6 year old rescue greyhound.  She has changed my life for the better, and gives me a reason to be here.  She is so mentally and physically good for me, she gets me up early, gets me out of the house into a daily routine.  I think anything that gives us comfort whilst we grieve has to be a good thing, for me it’s my dog.  But everyone is different.

• Dogs know, don't ask me why, you can rely on a dog anyday...

"Sometimes life is hideous, other times it's worse!"

• My husband and I wanted a dog but due to work commitments/lifestyle choices, we did not think it was fair to have one. 

However, we did take care of a dog called Jess from a puppy to help friends out when they went on holiday etc. It was a lovely compromise. 

Jess would always be excited to see Richard. Always jumping up on him whenever they first met. Jess visited us a few days before Richard's death by which time he was bedridden. Jess instinctively/gently jumped on the bed and lay next to him. I find the memory of my husband smiling and hugging Jess very soothing. It was not the first time I caught them in bed together lol. Not sure why I am sharing this but it is a nice memory to share. It has made me smile.

So, totally understand how comforting it can be to have a dog around. Enjoy! 

With lots of love,

Dutsie Xx

• A beautiful memory Sparkling heart

Tomorrow is another day
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dutsie

I’m pleased it’s triggered a nice memory for you.   Peter x