Going back to work??

• 34 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I've been off work since the end of September to take care of my Husband Colin who sadly left us 5th April - 5 weeks ago now. My sick pay has obviously finished now and work has asked me if I will be coming back (as they have to). I do intend to go back but don't know when the right time will be. I work for Boots as a 'customer assistant' aka as a dogsbody lol!!! 3 days a week 8-4.30. I know I can do phased return, say 3 hours a day - or whatever I want really but I feel so nervous and scared, what of I don't know!! How soon did anybody go back to work??

Sandra x

• Hi Mccmcc,

I just wanted to say your post put a bittersweet smile on my face. When I went back to school, my students offered me a bouquet of flowers and they all flocked around me as I cried. It was really sweet of them. However, the very first student who had asked me how I was ushered on a dramatic rush out of the classroom and a stream of tears.

Your studens will give you back some of your strength and motivation.

Good luck.

• Good for you! I think it's different for me as I'm not a patient person and also had two months knowing Carla was likely to be on short time.

But getting that step of saying right this is it, is a huge one. But if you are now "on holiday" maybe treat it as such and give yourself some "me time"?

I think men and women are different in these matters, but again there are variations in those groups as well. I was the cook at home and am competent around the house (ironing, changing beds etc) and subsequently do not feel lost in these tasks. (Although I'm not sure what Carla makes of my efforts!)

So good for you and I hope everything works out well, it's another step forward and all we can do in these times is hope to move forward a little each day!

"Sometimes life is hideous, other times it's worse!"

• Thank you. It's that raw "oh no here we go again.."

It's a bit different here in Italy,  no one avoids you and they ask direct questions.

Some people I know have even suggested I need to meet a nice lady to 'Take care of me' It seems they mourn like crazy then it's back to normal! But men here are not like us Brits in general, they expect to be looked after.

Another class tonight! I really need to get some lesson prep done!!

• Hi Sandra, sorry for getting in on this so late. I went back as soon as I could after my husband's death. I think for me work really was a life saver as I wouldn't have known what to do with myself and how to cope otherwise.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I went to work today only for a few hours I woke up at 4am left the house at 10am had a little cry drove to work before I went in had another little cry spoke to my  manager had another little cry but got a lot of support and understanding of my manager she told me to just take small steps and didn't want to push me back to quickly which was good to hear I then went out delivering parcels for a couple of hours when I finished I had another little cry  I'm now of till Wednesday small steps down a possible long road but I'm glad I've took the first step and hopefully will take a lot more 

• Good on you, I think the first steps are the hardest and I reckon you are past the first few, I don't think we will ever get our old "normal" back but I went out twice today to fix up the family tomb and then for a walk this evening, so I'm quite please with myself and I treated myself to a post lockdown beer in a pavement cafe..

• Aww bless you!! First step Done!! People are understanding and I think expect us to have little cries, as the saying goes 'it's ok not to be ok' My first step back to work is Monday 8-12 4 hours a day to start with ( Tue & Fri my other days next week) The shop opens at 8.30 so I'll be already working on the shop floor when other staff come in. 

You can escape from people by saying 'must go, parcels to deliver' turn and go, take a deep breath - then -next!!

Well done!!

BootsyD 

Tomorrow is another day
  • Day 1 Done!!  It was ok, not many staff in and not many shoppers! Put my 'sad head' away and put my 'work head' on! Some different workies on tomorrow so will get some more 'how are you's' out of the way!!! At least they can't hug me, 2 metre rule!! Day 2 tomorrow- 4 hours again- quite liked leaving at 12  :)

Tomorrow is another day
  • Ahh, well done you, it's not easy I know but its another hurdle you've jumped over and I do think it is good for our mental health to have a bit of  "normal" in our lives (although I'm not sure anything is normal at the moment)!

Hope tomorrow goes ok.

Ali x

• Well done to you.

It will only get easier, well the normal work big will! 

No hugs does keep control! Lol

Love and hugs Alison xxx