Little things that cause a big reaction

• 16 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Dear group I’m posting in floods of tears. I’ve just notified a bank and the National Trust that Mike has died ( we had a joint credit card and NT membership). The sight of those little cards cut into four as instructed has upset me so much. Weirdly almost more than anything else since he died. His wallet, which is in a drawer in my desk, is now completely empty. I guess it’s a representation of how empty my life feels without him.

• Sorry occupational2heal

I should have called you Alison instead of your formal site name but somehow I missed it.

Love and Light.

Geoff.

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Hi Jeff and all,

Oh it would be nice if we had such a website here. I recall having to call each and every one of the government departments to record Paul's death. It was okay having to do it but it would be great and not as time and energy consuming if one could do it all in one place.

I am kind of the same. Most of Paul's clothes are still in the wardrobe, his aftershaves still in the bathroom drawer, his books all on the book shelf. I did sort out his bedside locker one time a couple of months ago, but only because I knew that he didn't keep any personal items in there but only empty pill boxes or old paperwork or things like that. I put the letters I wrote to Paul every single day for a couple of months after his death in there as well. While I don't like to get rid of his things, there have been situations where I had to make choices or decisions such as moving things, selling his armchair from the spare bedroom so that I could get a sofa bed instead, changing the arrangment in our kitchen cupboards so that I would be better able to get at things that I need the most, etc. And I know that Paul would aprove of this and say, "Well, it's your house, darling", to which I would want to say, "No it's our house love", but then he would have a point because now it's only me living here.

But, as you say, we all have to do what feels best for us.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm totally broken hearted, inconsolable and beyond any help. 

Not only cards including bus pass but it absolutely broke my heart to send off my wife's passport to be cancelled. This I deemed as a must along with everything else just in case it fell into the wrong hands and disappeared for good. It was returned and is of no use to anyone else now which I must admit is somewhat of a relief even though I am devastated and always will be, Amen.

• I’m so sorry for your loss. Nothing I can say will help that but you have helped me. I had not even thought about my husband’s passport. Another hurdle to negotiate when I feel up to it. 
    I hope you can get some sleep. Look after yourself. I’m sure she’d want you to.

Alison 
    Trying to be like the tree that bends with the wind and rain and thus weathers the storm
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to winmick

Hi winmick

I have my husbands wallet all of his store cards totally out of date & I like you will never change the joint account . I have got my own bank account but I will never close the joint one  I have a small amount in the account  & hopefully it  will stay there  , I just can't think of closing it ,  will treat it as my mum taught me " little bit in the back of your purse just in case"hope you understand. 

Take care 

jojo xx

• Hi jojo I read your profile and am so sorry for your loss. It must have been a hard couple of years. My wife passed in July, she had melanoma. We were lucky ( if you can call it that ) she was in no pain and only the last 2 or 3 days she was bed ridden..l am glad you won’t close the joint account I really don’t see why we have to. I still have all my wife’s stuff I can’t even think about disposing of anything,I think it makes me feel close to her. 

Take care. Mike 

Love you always Winnie xx