A strange change for two days ? What is happening to me?

• 15 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hello All,

During the past two days I've been tidying up and clearing out many  draws that contained stuff I didn't even know we had! My sweetheart - who I now call -  ' My little Squirrel Lady.' never seemed to throw anything away. Yet she clearly also forgot what she had! I found three packets of unopened sewing needles, yet so often in the past  I struggled to find one needle in the needle holder. Five wrist watches she had once warn throughout  the ages. Packets of saved foreign coins from countries we'd visited. There were duplicates of nearly everything. Packets of safety pins, needles, hooks and eyes and batteries of all sorts, Most see led and unopened. And much, much more. I even found a photo of Anne in black and white when I must have first met her. STRANGELY non of this upset me? And  memories were flooding back in droves of times gone by. Stuff I had completely forgotten about. YET still no upset?  I smiled a lot and kept repeating ' You little squirrel lady what have we got here then ? ' Anne passed about 10 weeks ago and it was only a short while ago I kept breaking down with grief Attacks ! And now I look back I don't know who I should be picturing. Anne when we first met? Anne in middle age? Or Anne when she was 71 and  laying in a hospital bed waiting to pass over? I suppose she is all of these pictures. All of these women. To stabilise my self I have a picture of my sweetheart on the mantle piece of Anne when she was about 30yrs. That's the one I've chosen to see her as. And the beautiful lady I will one day meet again when its my turn to pass. NOW-  having just typed this -  I'm in floods of tears again.  Just what is happening to me ? 

Love and Light

Geoff

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Geoff999

Hi Geoff That is such a lovely idea of little stickers or even stars, You can get them in lots of places. My first Christmas I din"t send anything everyone understood. Even now I am wondering what to do but if I do his name will be there as my Angel in the sky. He will always be included. I even have cards sent to me with my name and my Angel in the sky.  Hope you are O.K. today. xxx  Carol. xxx

• I have a lot of my wife's clothes as I have moved house I had to get rid of some but all her cards jewellery and sprays pic ect are still in my rooms where I can look at them and talk to her all the special things are in my drawer next to my bed so I can get them out to look at when I'm feeling down

Ian
  • Hi Jeff and all others in this conversation,

Jeff, I can relate to what you are experiencing because it happened to me too. After having felt very down for quite some time, one day I felt different; less crying, more of the good memories coming forward but causing a feeling of gratitude for what we had rather than sadness for what we were never again going to have, more motivation to do things and just an over all more positive feeling. I think those are the moments when we move forward in our grief a little, either temporarily or just for that moment, and when we are able to feel a little bit like ourselves again. I think we have to welcome those moments because there are so many times when the pain overwhelms us and those are a few moments of calm and maybe even something like inner peace.

Love, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi Jeff and all,

I, too, have most of my husband's clothes and our book shelf is full of his books. But I feel this is right as it gives me the feeling that he is still a part of my life. Just because he is gone I don't have to throw his clothes out. My mum told me a while ago I should at least get rid off the books, but I couldn't do that.

As for this site being a form of counselling, I think it is like a very good support group, but maybe writing down all the time how we feel and reflecting on it and on how others are feeling helps to get a perspective on it all while we are moving through this process. I don't know.

Love and hugs,

Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi Mel. I also have all my wife’s things. And like you say that it still feels like she is part of my life . I can’t even contemplate getting rid of anything. I

Mike. 

Love you always Winnie xx