Dad is dying and now covid

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi, 

I’m new here and really need some support. My dad was diagnosed with cancer last year and despite surgery it has spread aggressively. We were told a few days ago that there’s nothing they can do and he only has a few weeks. Needless to say I have started the grieving process already and feel utterly heartbroken. He is in his fifties and so full of life. It doesn’t seem right. 

An added complication is that he has now tested positive for covid which was probably picked up in hospital. The hospice have agreed that we can still visit him but clearly it is at our own risk. Of course we will all carry on going, how can we not? But I’m terrified that one of us (especially my mum who is staying with him overnight in the same room) May get seriously ill with covid too. At a horrible horrible time it is just another thing to worry about. 

I feel like I’m going mad with worry and grief. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community although I'm very sorry you've had to find us.

I can totally understand why you're feeling as you do having just been told that your dad only has a matter of weeks left and I wondered if you'd benefit from joining the supporting someone with incurable cancer group. If you'd like to do this clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there where you can join and post in the same way as you did here. The group is for carers, friends and families of people with a terminal diagnosis to discuss their emotions about the prospect of losing their loved ones, as well as practical issues about palliative care and end of life.

Sending a supportive ((hug))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I do understand it is the hardest thing in the world.  I lost my wonderful Dad recently and my world fell apart. I wish I could help but all I can say is take each day as it arrives. Sending you much love, Michaela.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you, I’m sorry if I posted in the wrong place. 

• There's no need to apologise . It can sometimes be difficult to know which group to join when you first come to the online community, but I thought you'd find joining the supporting someone with incurable cancer group a useful one to join as the members there will be able to tell you how they're coping and can hopefully answer any questions you might have on how best to help your dad.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"