My Story - My Beautiful Mum

• 19 replies
  • 21 subscribers

It's taken me a while to be strong enough to share my story and I’m sorry if its too long, but this is the only place I’ve found where I feel that I can share it and that people will totally understand.  I hope that by doing this, it will help the endless thoughts that go round and round in my head, constantly re-living the situation and bringing me to a point that I wonder if the pain will ever ease and I’ll be able to carry on in a normal way again (whatever “normal” is).

My mum collapsed on the 31st October and was rushed to hospital where she was mainly unconscious for the best part of 4 days due to low sodium levels.  They managed to sort this, but couldn’t tell us what the cause was, and whilst she was tired and weak, having had pneumonia and a kidney infection at the same time, she was doing ok and was up and out of bed helping other patients with their meal trays (that’s how mum was, always helping others).

Before they discharged her, they wanted to do another scan, and from that they advised us that they’d noticed something that, could possibly be cancer, was having an impact on her kidneys, and she needed to be referred to urology.

Mum was discharged and we duly waited for the appointment which came through at the end of November, where they advised us that there was a blockage in the tube to one of her kidneys, they couldn’t tell, but it could be cancerous, so the best thing to do was to remove the tube and the whole kidney.  This seemed quite drastic but as her other kidney was healthy, mum signed the forms in the hope that this would solve her issues and we went home to wait for the appointment for surgery.

This never came, the next appointment was back at Urology at the beginning of December where they told is that another scan had showed that mum’s other kidney was now showing signs of stress, so they believed that it was more likely to be an infection and they would prescribe antibiotics.  This actually came as quite a relief, and we went home thinking that we would see some signs of improvement in 7 – 10 days.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case and shortly after starting the antibiotics mum kept being sick and was feeling really nauseous.  She wanted to give the antibiotics a chance so when a couple of days later things hadn’t improved, we contacted our assigned nurse in the urology dept.

She came back to us quite quickly, this was a red flag for them, she was in the process of finding a bed and wanted us to get mum into the hospital as quickly as possible.  On assessment they told us that both kidneys were basically failing, and she needed stents fitted as an emergency.

This surgery was cancelled twice and when she did have it, nobody could really tell us if the procedure had been successful or not.

The following day we insisted on speaking to a Dr and he told us that the procedure had been successful on one kidney but not on the other and therefore another procedure to fit external drains was required.  However, he also informed us that during the procedure, they’d found a mass in mum’s pelvis, which had high tumour markers, and that she’d need to be referred to gynaecology.  This totally wasn’t what we were expecting to hear, but as he’d showed us on the scan, we knew it was serious and hoped for it to be treated with some urgency.

Mum was discharged, complete with 2 external drains to her kidneys 3 days before Christmas.  I live overseas, so at her insistence, I came home for a week to spend Christmas with my family whilst she and my dad stayed with my niece and their great grandchildren as they’d planned.

I got back to the UK on the 29th December and there’d been no news, despite her case having been discussed by the team on the previous Friday, I just couldn’t understand why there was no update or no appointment forthcoming.

Once passed New Year, I emailed the urology nurse and she advised that an appointment had been booked for the 15th January for an aspiration as they needed to remove some fluid from mums pelvis to confirm if it was cancerous.

We stated the mum was in a lot of pain so it would be a struggle to get to appointments, we’d had to buy a wheelchair because she was worried she’d not be able to walk the distance through the hospital, and we couldn’t continue with her suffering in this way and needed assistance with her pain management, to which she suggested that she get the palliative care team from the local involved in order to provide some extra support.

In the meantime, the DR was contacted who suggested some liquid morphine to assist with pain management which mum agreed to.

On 15th January We went for the aspiration.  The Dr said that he was expecting there to be more fluid in mum’s tummy/abdomen but he was only able to take a small sample.  This was concerning to us because we mums abdomen was by this point so swollen that she looked as if she was in the early stages of pregnancy.  She was so slight and frail it was heartbreaking.

On 24th January 2024 the nurse from hospice visited to try and find out what the situation was and how they could help us.  Went through everything that had happened, in detail, and advised her of all mum’s issues, bowel pain etc, but it was very difficult for her to advise on when we had no clear diagnosis.  She suggested some other drugs that might be worth trying to help manage the pain and ease mums bowel troubles.

The following morning we were contacted by the Urology nurse who confirmed that the aspiration had confirmed it was cancer but in the gynae area, so we would now be transferred to their department and should be hearing from someone shortly.  Whilst we’d waited all this time for a clear diagnosis knowing that it was something serious, the reality of it hit us like a ton of brick.  How do we process that news as a family, but I can’t imagine how my mum must have felt.  After the initial tears her first thought was for my dad and what he’d do if the worst happened.

The next day the gynae department called us and confirmed that it was gynae cancer and that the treatment they would offer would be chemo.  Gave us a rough idea of how much chemo would be required.  Mum asked about side effects etc and was advised that these could be harsh so in some instances chemo wouldn’t be appropriate as it could do more harm than good.  Mum expressed that she wasn’t keen on chemo and was concerned about feeling worse than she already did.  They explained that an appointment would be necessary to meet the consultant so it could be explained in full and assess if mum was fit enough, this appointment would likely be the following Friday.  We asked what stage the cancer was, but all they could tell us was that the cells were high grade which meant rapid.

Two days later on the Sunday mum started to feel really unwell was sick in the afternoon, this continued through the following day when the new drugs suggested by the palliative nurse were available for collection.

The following morning we contacted her for guidance on how to use these new drugs along with everything else mum had.  Explained to her about mum’s sickness and how it had now become a pale brown colour.  She was very concerned about this and gave us a number at the hospital to call where they would do a phone assessment and establish what was needed.

We called the number and the gentlemen did a full and detailed of assessment of mum and said that they needed to see her and that we should bring an overnight bag in case she needed to be admitted.

As we were preparing to leave for the hospital, someone from the gynae department called to advise that we had an appointment on Friday 2nd February to discuss chemo.  Advised that we were on our way to the hospital with a possibility that mum might be admitted. 

We managed to make the journey by taxi and just got mum in the wheelchair when she was sick again.  We arrived at the ward where they showed us straight to a bed that she literally collapsed out of the wheelchair onto.  Dr came and took some details and said further tests and x-rays would be required to see if she needed admitting.  Errrrr there is no way you are not admitting her when she’s in this state.

Dad and I had to go and wait in Costa for hours, and it was 8pm before they finally confirmed they’d admit her, although it wasn’t clear what they’d found.  They also advised that due to Covid restrictions we shouldn’t be visiting and could only drop some bits off for mum – not good enough when we didn’t know what was going on!

The following day Dad and I arrived on the ward to “drop some things off” for mum and met a very nice nurse who said we could see her.  The Dr also passed by as we were talking to the nurse, and she grabbed her and asked her to give us a full brief.

We went to mum with the Dr and at this point I can’t remember exactly what she said, but I don’t recall it being clear details.  Someone came to do a scan or something so we left with the Dr and at this point I broke down and said it wasn’t good enough and we needed to know what was going on.  She was sympathetic and took us too a side room where we explained everything and gave her the full picture of what had been going on.  She quickly realised that we needed clarification and support on a lot of things and went to find the senior registrar.

She came back and took us to where mum had been moved to where we met the senior registrar.  She explained that mum’s condition was serious as her bowel wasn’t working properly.  Mum promptly threw up a bowl of black liquid which was like something from a horror film.  She said that they needed to try and rest the bowel for a couple of days to see if they could get it working again, if they couldn’t we might have days.  This was a total shock to all of us.  They would need to give mum different drugs to assist with this, reduce the nausea and limit her intake of liquids and food etc to aid the bowel, but there was also an option to put a tube down her throat which would basically extract anything that went in, if mum could tolerate having it inserted.  I then went to a side room with the registrar and Dr and had a further meltdown.  I couldn’t understand how this had been going on for so long and whilst they had been discussing mum’s case every Friday since the 22nd December, nobody (other than the Dr that did the aspiration) had seen mum since then so they had absolutely no idea how she was doing or her visible state, that we saw in her every day, and now we were basically in a critical position!

We met the Consultant two days later on the Friday and other than resting the bowel, all she talked about was chemo and getting mum up and out of bed!

I can’t get my head round what these Dr’s were thinking.  In front of them was an 80 year old beautiful woman who was very sick, very weak, on nil by mouth who’d clearly stated that she didn’t think chemo was something she could take, so how on earth they thought they’d get her back on her feet was beyond me.  In mum’s own words, before she was admitted this last time, she felt that when she stood up her insides were going to fall out, which was clearly the mass in her abdomen taking its toll.

The following days were a blur and whilst we had to face the reality of the situation, we also wanted to try to get mum as comfortable as possible and she wasn’t in hospital.  She couldn’t brush her teeth without help, she couldn’t get out of bed to use the commode because her legs had swollen to 3 times their normal size and she couldn’t lift the weight of them and she couldn’t pull herself up the bed when she kept slipping down because she didn’t have the strength. 

We contacted the palliative nurse from the hospice as we needed help and guidance and she very kindly contacted the MacMillan team at the hospital and put us in touch with a lovely nurse (Marie), who agreed to be with us the next time the Consultant was due to see mum and helped us through everything.  She talked to mum to find out exactly how she felt, how much she wanted to know about everything etc and she helped us voice all our questions and clearly understood where our confusion with all the mixed messages were coming from.

In fact I believe it was her who on Friday 9th Feb actually had a word with the consultant about being realistic of mums situation, because when she arrived that day, she suggested that as mum didn’t want chemo, but as her bowel seemed to be working, it would be better to move her to the hospice.  The reality was, mum’s bowel wasn’t working, it was no different to when she was admitted to hospital, and when I actually asked the question, she didn’t really know it was as if she’d just assumed, and I thank god for Marie who asked if they could actually check to be sure!  They said they would, but they didn’t.

Mum was moved to the hospice on the Tuesday morning and when we arrived in the afternoon, it was the first time in weeks that she actually looked comfortable, was smiling, and wanted to try a Pringle and a small piece of chocolate.

That was the last time mum was really mum, on the Wednesday and Thursday she slept mostly, on the Friday she was awake but really confused, couldn’t speak properly, thought she had to get out of bed as they needed it for someone else, and was generally unsettled.  On this day as we said “Cheerio” (mum never wanted to say goodbye), the last thing she was smile and give a thumbs up.

On the Saturday she was asleep all the time and in the early hours of Sunday the hospice called to say her beathing had changed so we went immediately and she passed away later on Sunday morning.

My heart is totally shattered.  Whilst I live overseas I’ve always been so close to my mum and I’m lost without her.  Coming home after the funeral was when I think it hit me most, it’s as if I can be here and she’s still there in the UK, but obviously she’s not and I miss all our messages and calls like nothing else.

I feel like I spent 4 months in the UK watching mum die without realising what was actually happening.  All the mixed messages and signs of hope when in front of our eyes she was deteriorating and it was like nobody cared, nobody was doing anything quickly enough and now that plays on my mind as guilt and if I did enough to get the care she needed.

I know the NHS are massively understaffed, but I can’t get my head round the situation of having a weekly meeting to discuss cases and then not having any contact with the patient to discuss the outcome or issues.  I can’t understand them taking so long to find it was cancer.  To this day they couldn’t tell where it actually was, and would only say the gynae area. None of it makes any sense to me, and now it never will because I’ll never get answers to these questions and even if I did, sadly it wouldn’t change anything now.

Our only comfort from this was that mum was in the hospice when she passed and we couldn’t have asked for a better place.  The staff were so kind, caring for both mum and us and couldn’t do enough for us.  At one point mum slipped down the bed and I asked if when they had a moment they could help us lift her back up.  Within 2 mins, 3 nurses were there, they extended her bed lifted her back up and made her more comfortable, we couldn’t have asked for more.

I found this site whilst trying to track down an email address for our MacMillan nurse Marie so I could write to her to say thank you, and whilst reading some of the stories on here it’s made me realise that we aren’t alone, and many, many families have had the same awful experiences, it saddens me that so many people have, and so many others are struggling with the same feelings as me.

I’m not sure where I go from here, people keep telling me I need counselling, and my work have offered this to me (I was lucky, they were very flexible with my working hours whilst I was in the UK, and whilst getting up at 4:30am to work until lunchtime wasn’t ideal, it gave me the time in the afternoons to visit mum, or do things around the house to keep on top of it all), but I’m not sure if it’s the way to go.

My mum was very realistic, she said she was 80, she’d had a good life, lots of happy memories and that there were people far worse off than she was, and she said to me whilst lying in her hospital bed, not to be sad for too long, but to just get on with it – easier said than done eh.

She was also telling one of the nurses what she wanted for her funeral, and later we’d found 2 notes she’d left at home about what she wanted – “as early as possible, no hymns, 1 prayer, no going on about my life, thank everyone for coming and commit me to whatever.”

We did it was early as we could and kept it as simple as possible, I’d like to think we did her proud, I hope she thinks so too.

I’ll stop rambling now, thank you for giving me the chance to get this all off my chest.  To everyone else out there that’s suffering in the same way, I’m so sorry for your loss and I really feel your pain, take it gently and be kind to yourselves. xx

• Hi Sunny, 

I have just read your whole story. I am heartbroken. It should not have taken that long to be getting the answers you needed. You clearly have incredible inner strength. Regarding everything to do with moving forward, there is no right or wrong answer. It is your choice for counselling, from my experience it is an investment in yourself and your mind, wherever you are in life. And what your mum said about not being sad too long - remember that its your journey and you did her proud by respecting her wishes at the funeral. 

I wish you love and luck all the way to the island I assume you live on! Enjoy the small things in this period like some good weather. We have a little in the UK right now and it's doing wonders.  

• Hey Rob,

Thank you for still being here, I really appreciate it as I wasn't sure how long people generally use it for.  Thank you also for taking the time to read my whole story, I know it was lengthy, but that's part of the issue. I didn't realise it was quite as long until I printed it off, I think it was a bit like therapy, having it in front of me so perhaps I don't need to store it as intently in my mind now, not that I'm ever likely to forget.

I think your right, there are two parts of it for me, the grief of losing my beautiful mum, and the chaos and uncertainty of the months before that. I don't think I've got to dealing with my actual grief yet cos I'm still struggling, with the everything that happened before. 

Watching my mum go through that was horrendous, seeing her in such pain and feeling so helpless to try and make it better for her, having so many drugs she didn't know what was actually helping her, being scared to take too much morphine incase she got addicted to it, it just goes on and on. 

Every time I think about it I feel guilty and wonder if I should have done more, pushed the Dr's more for appointments etc, but when I was there, it felt that every time I did that she ended back up in hospital and that didn't feel great either as I know how much she hated being there.

Thank you for your thoughts on the counselling, I've never thought ofbit as an investment before, but I think it might be what I need to help me over this somehow.

I am still using the 10 mins chunks and they do help when I'm struggling.  Honestly, my mum would be mortified if she knew I was struggling like this. She always worried that how I was brought up caused me difficulties now, being too conscientious when others don't bother, especially in the work place,and bringing myself stress etc, but I'm so like my mum, and so proud to be like that, genes and all!

Anyhow, I've waffled on again too much! How are things going for you? I hope you're doing ok. I think what Fallingleaves said about the genes resonated with us both and it is a comfort, I hope it's helped your family too.

Take care and thank you again for being there.x

• Hello Sunny!

Just read your story. I am so sorry for the loss of your mum. I am only weeks away from the first anniversary of my husband's passing last June. A lot of what you wrote I can identify with with regards to you mums kidney problems. We were together for 40 years and it has been very hard at times to try to navigate life on my own after having someone at my side for so many years. He got his tumour cut out in January 2022 and the surgical team were convinced they got it all. I asked at one of his post op oncology appointments should he have post op chemo just to make sure everything had gone but was told it wasn't necessary. Fast forward five months and after a follow up appointment with his surgeon she took bloods from him. He got a letter a few weeks later to say CEA markers had risen and another CT scan was requested which confirmed the cancer had returned. From then on it was a downward spiral. He got more chemo- which I feel had they done in the first instance he wouldn't be in that position` but they are the experts so you just go with what they say. Further sessions of chemo damaged his kidneys and he became very ill and then had to be withdrawn completely and it resulted in him having to have a double nephrostomy ( the two drains coming out his back to help his kidneys drain). Apart from that he had a stoma bag where part of his bowel had to be cut away he was willing to live with that because it was permanent. He also had to have a urinary catheter fitted which kept becoming infected. Four bouts of sepsis followed and it was the 4th along with his advancing cancer which finally took him on the 23rd June 2023. My last image of him leaving this house was being dragged along a carpet by two paramedics and navigated down a flight of stairs ( live in an upstairs flat) and into the ambulance. His last bout of sepsis caused his blood pressure to drop to virtually nothing and the paramedics were concerned if they tried to sit him upright he would pass out and they wouldn't be able to moved him at all. So that was the way he left this house and never to return as he passed in hospital. He wanted to come home to pass away here but in the end he was just too weak to be moved and told he would need to stay there. I was at his side when he passed and never even realised he had gone because he was lapsing in and out of consciousness and I was rubbing his shoulders and he kept batting my hand away as if it were annoying him. His breathing was very shallow and laboured too. I was watching the little TV in his room and then realised he stopped breathing and thought he had just fallen asleep but after nudging him and lifting his hand to no response I knew he had gone. Everything just went in slow motion after that and its as if it wasn't happening to me and it was happening to someone else. I remember walking down to the nurses station although there was a buzzer at his bed and just said to them `I think he's gone` to which two nurses darted up the corridor to his room and one checked him over and confirmed he had passed and said `yes he's at peace now` I was taken to another side room to compose myself because as you can imagine I was in a state. My son was on his way to see his dad and he came as soon as he could. It's a horrible, horrible journey we are on and please come on here when you feel you need to. We all `get` what each other is going through. My best wishes to you going forward. Take Care. 

Vicky x

• Hi Vicky,

Thank you for your reply and for taking the time to read my story, I know it was a bit long.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband and what you both went through, I can totally understand your frustration in terms of what treatment is offered, how things were handled and if things could have been different.  I definitely feel that too.

Things like nephrostomys are really difficult to manage so your husband was amazing to deal with those as well as everything else.

When mum's were first fitted, they tried to discharge her from hospital without any care package in place, which we wouldn't accept, so she had to stay another night until they sorted it, but when she was last admitted to the oncology ward, the staff didn't have a clue what to do with them!  We had to tell them what flushes were required and I had to take all the stuff to the hospital in order for them to be able to change the bags.  It took over an hour to do one, and I had to tell them what they needed to do, it was a shambles.

Unfortunately, just before mum passed her bowel had the last word and black fluid came pouring out of her mouth. It was traumatic and an image that I can't get out of my head. We panicked, afraid she was going to choke, but the nurses who were there immediately said she was taking her last breaths.

It was heartbreaking and I know mum would have been upset that those were our last memories of her, especially as they'd just put her in a clean nightie.

I feel like some people think I should be over this by now, but I think unless you've experienced something like this you have no idea of the pain, the trauma, and how long it might last.

I appreciate everyone on this site who's experienced cancer in some form, and understands what people are going through. Pease know that I'll be here for support as you've been for me.

It was almost 60 years for my parents and I don't know how my dad is managing to cope from day to day, but he's had a lot to keep him busy, and will be coming here next week for a rest so I can really see how he's doing.

Take every day as a step forward, we're navigating a minefield of emotion and frustration and I know hard that is.

Sending you a big hug.

Px

• Dear Sunnyislandgirl, 

I've read your story. It's so heartbreaking to read, gosh it's such a traumatic experience. You've done your best for your mum and did her proud. Gosh, what a horrendous experience with the NHS, all that waiting, not getting answers and uncertainty. Sadly the NHS is overloaded,  understaffed and many families have also been through a bad experience, the wait time is too long. One of my colleagues died of breast cancer in January, she's only in her 30s, her cancer was detected too late. I was chatting to another colleague who knows a lot about cancer cos sadly her mum and several other family members died of this cruel disease. She told me that apparently not all cancers can be detected, the medical equipment aren't sophisticated enough to detect everything. I'm not sure how true that is, it's scary if it's true cos then the doctors can't make a diagnosis earlier and do something about it. On the other hand, if it's due to a poor quality of care and mistakes made by the medics, the hospital has a PALS (Patients Advice and Liason Service) department where complaintscan be made. I'm just mentioning this in case other people read this thread, not happy with their hospital and want to speak up.  

I'm still navigating the grieving process after the loss of my dad, so I don't have any advice to give. What I do want to say is that I know you've done your very best, i can tell you dearly love your mum. Try not to be too harsh on yourself. I went to a grief talk last week, the psychologist said something along the lines of grief isn't something you get rid of, it's a misconception to think that it'll just go away and that at some point we just get over it. We grow around our grief and learn to live with it. We will oscillate between a great sense of lose to feeling ok. After the talk, I spoke to several people, my dad passed away 5 weeks ago, some people lost their loved ones 2 or 3 years ago. I was a bit surprised they came to the talk. I guess I'm so proactive in learning about grief is because I need help, I want to feel better, I want this feeling to go away. I'm glad I went to that event, speaking to people who are in the same boat really helped me. Do you have someone you can talk to? Maybe counselling might be useful if you feel like it'll help. The main thing is to get the emotions out and to process them rather than bottling it up. You've done so well to share your story on here. Personally for me, I write in my diary and learn about grief cos I'm interested in psychology and like to learn how other people cope. Everyone is different, we all have to find things that work for us. 

Another thing I learnt from the grief talk is to remind ourselves of the totality of the relationship. I know it's not easy,  I constantly have flashbacks of my dad's last week in the hospice, all the pain and suffering. I try to counteract it by thinking of our good times together. I've been doing meditation for over 10 years, so I don't suppress my thoughts, I let them come and go and acknowledge how I feel. Maybe learning about mindfulness meditation, understanding our thoughts and feelings might help? I think of it as inner alchemy, making friends with and transforming my emotions. That's like being a counsellor to yourself. But sometimes we might need professional guidance, hence the bereavement counselling if necessary. 

Remember, we are human, we're allowed to be emotional, whatever you feel is ok and everyone deals with things differently. Take as much time as you need. You can waffle on, let it out, this is a very nice forum and someone will respond.  

Look after yourself. Every small step we make is an achievement, for me that's trying to get through a day of work without making too many mistakes! I'm having a brain fog problem but luckily I catch my mistakes at work.

Big hugs to you and sending you strength x

• Hey Fallingleaves,

I so appreciate you taking the time to read my story and respond. Read and hearing different experiences is heartbreaking, but it really does help.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad and your colleague, that's a lot to deal with in a short space of time.

Thanks for sharing what your other colleague said about cancer not always being easy to detect, that was something I definitely couldn't understand. When we asked where it was in the gynae area, they said it didn't really matter because the treatment is the same, but to me it does. I understand that certain cancers could be genetic, and ovarian I believe could be one of them.

I tried to get the Dr aside to ask, and she said if mum was in her 50's there might be a chance but she didn't think so now because of mum's age.  However this was the same Dr that thought mum's bowels was working when it wasn't so it does fill me with confidence, especially as I'm in my mind 50's now. I think it's something I will need to get a second opinion on at some point.

I really admire you for going to the grief talk, that takes a lot of strength, but I feel the same, I want to feel better too and I think your inspiring me even more to get the help I probably need, so thank you for that.

I can also totally relate to the brain fog, I find it I'm not kept busy at work I have the attention span of a gnat and find myself drifting off, so I'm trying to take on a couple of extra projects to keep focussed.

Like you, I also try so hard to focus on happy memories and images of mum, Sundays are always bad days as it was the day she passed, 3 weeks after was Mother's Day, but I'm trying each week to focus less on the time it happened if I can and keep going.

Going through this journey is something I never imagined having to do, and mum would still be telling me that we should consider ourselves lucky for the time we had, and she is right about that. She used to tell Dad and I not to ask the Dr too many questions as they were too busy, and it was a struggle to explain to her why we had to and why it was important, just because she was 80, it didn't make her less deserving of their time and care.

This is a long journey for us both and I can't thank you enough for your support and for sharing your experiences as you goAstonished, hopefully we can keep in touch as we progress.

Sending you big hugs and all the strength I can muster to help you through.xx

Px

• Hello Sunny!

Thank you for your reply. Yes it's true what you say some people just don't `get it` and think that in a couple of months you'll be fine. I used to think that myself but as you say until you actually experience it, you don't know. This takes time and for some it's something they may never get over losing a partner/loved one and for some they learn to live with it. That's why coming on here everyone `gets` what one another are going through. Jay (my husband) had only passed away two months and then my older sister got a bowel cancer diagnosis. She ironically had breast cancer 5 years ago but beat it. She had been breathless and very tired for a long time but with everything going on with Jay of course, I wouldn't have noticed. She lost a lot a weight too which is something she can't afford to happen. She did a bowel screening test at home which I had to help her with and the results came back positive. A colonoscopy then showed that there was a very small tumour present so she went in and got that cut out and ironically she is making a good recovery. She has slight learning difficulties and relies on me a lot for certain things. She lives in sheltered housing accommodation not far from me more or less within walking distance. She can do for herself to an extent but things in authority like her banking and insurances stuff like that I need to help her with. She's 72 but acts more like a 17 year old. She lost an identical twin to a brain tumour when they were only young just in their teens so this has hit her hard through her life also and just a couple of weeks ago my son's future mother-in-law passed through having cancer also. So cancer has been following me around for a year and now I just want it to `do one` and go away now and leave me alone. 

I'm just counting the weeks now until Jay's first anniversary of his passing. I'm ok just now, but don't know how I'll feel in the weeks leading up to it. Just now I am just `remembering` what was going on this time last year. Part of me is happy though that he is not in anymore pain now and is at peace. The nephrostomies were a bit `fiddly` for me to change the nurse in the hospital showed me how to do it though. At times you could just drain the bags it was the self adhesive ones Jay had that just stuck to the skin and after a couple of uses they needed to be changed. I found the wires with the little tap outlet at the end going into the bag a little difficult to navigate at first but found my way round them in the end. We had the district nurses come in at the beginning when he came home just to check he was ok. We got the home carers as well who would come in each day and give him a wash as he was bedbound at the end too before having to back in to hospital again. Yes it's good to come on here and be a support for one another. Sending you hugs and best wishes too.

Vicky x

• Hi Sunnyislandgirl,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and listening to me. I hope you got through Sunday. Your mum sounds so kind and considerate, not wanting to bother the doctors too much. Grief is love with nowhere to go. We were lucky we had a good experience with the NHS. As well as dealing with grief,  sounds like you also have to deal with what happened at the hospital. It doesn't sound like you had a good experience and a high quality of care. Words are inadequate, all I can say is I'm sorry you and your mum had to go through that. It's so sad that our healthcare system doesn't offer a first class service. I had. a colleague who flew back home to Germany for hospital treatment cos the NHS waiting times are ridiculously long. 

Whatever age we lose someone, whether it's young or old, it's hard. My dad was only 68. 80 is still young. I think the NHS service is like a postcode lottery. The doctors and nurses I've encountered treat everyone the same regardless of age, so we are extremely lucky. Please do not feel guilty, you've done your best for your mum. What happened was outside of your control.

I'm glad I've inspired you to get some help. I'm also going to get bereavement counselling. I didn't want to overload the NHS and free charities, my work's health insurance offers free counselling, so I called them today. After encouraging you to reach out for help, I took my own advice! I think I'll also benefit from talking to a professional, someone to really listen to me and guide me through this. Thanks for sharing you also have memory problems, I thought it was just me!

Yes, let's keep in touch on here. Thanks for sharing your journey as well. I really appreciate it. It's a sad and lonely journey to be on but I hope we can both learn and grow from this experience. There will be light at the end of the tunnel. Or as the psychologist said at the grief talk, something along the lines of "we will constantly oscillate between grief and feeing ok, eventually we'll have more ok days"

Let me know how you get on. Take care x

• It’s about six months since I’ve been on this forum or even on the community at all. To all of you on this particular thread I offer my sympathy. Some parts of your stories are so similar to what happened to my husband and me towards the end of his life. Like sunnyislandgirl's mum he developed bowel problems 16 months after his lung cancer diagnosis, his  cancer was known to be caused by asbestos exposure as a young man but it was only after his death that the post mortem (mandatory when asbestos exposure is known to have occurred) confirmed that he had mesothelioma, a rare cancer only caused by asbestos exposure. The biopsy done early in his diagnosis was inconclusive and we were told “well the treatment is the same regardless, the cancer is inoperable and incurable “.
      His last few days were so difficult, his cancer had spread to his abdominal area and his bowel blocked, he was vomiting brown liquid and was admitted via A+E in September 2022. He had to endure a 16 hour wait on a trolley in a corridor before he was moved to a surgical ward, as he was already on palliative care there was never going to be surgery so why they put him there I do not know. 
    • Despite me constantly asking to speak to a doctor no one told me what was happening. They kept talking about resting his bowel and then possibly doing an enema, we only heard this from him and he was not very sure what was said because by then he was on a syringe pump giving him morphine and various other drugs. He had a nasogastric tube in situ to draw off the fecal fluid in his stomach. But no one bothered to tell me just how serious and life  threatening this bowel problem was.
      He was in hospital for our 48th wedding anniversary and two days later after coming home from seeing him I got a phone call to say he was having a panic attack and saying “Can you get Sandra I think I’m dying” the nurse was almost laughing on the phone saying “It’s just a panic attack”. I got to the hospital 20-25 minutes later to be met in the corridor by a nurse who said “I’m sorry he’s gone” I collapsed crying and shouting. I will never ever get over not being with him and I did have a meeting with PALS about the unfeeling communication about his death from the staff.
    • It’s 20 months now since he passed away and although some days are just about okay I miss him so much every single day.
    • Like others have said people mean to be kind when they say things like “It will get easier with time” or “He/she wouldn’t want you to be sad “ or “You are doing so well now”. I now reply with “It will never be easy” “What you see on the outside is not what’s going on inside my heart “. So don’t be afraid to be honest with well meaning people, don’t be ashamed of your grief. It’s your grief and no one else will ever feel the same as you.  I’ve had counselling and have just started more sessions to try to deal with my feelings about his last few days, I feel the lack of communication and the awful way I was told he had passed away have made a wall blocking my grief because I cannot seem to get beyond not being with him and knowing he was asking for me. 
      Stay as strong or not as you want, allow your grief to be what you want and need because grief is like a piece of string no one knows how long it is and whilst counselling and therapy and information is of benefit “your grief is your grief” and no one else’s. My thoughts are with you all. 
      (my profile is there if you want to read )

• Grasan 
  • Hi Grasan, 

I'm sorry for not replying sooner, my dad is here at the moment and I'm on another wave of the emotional rollercoaster.  It absolutely broke my heart seeing him come through arrivals without my mum by his side.  Bless him, he's struggling with his emotions and feels guilty for being here having a nice time when mum isn't and there's a huge gap at the table when we have dinner.  I'm trying to help him through, but it's a struggle for us both at the moment.

I've read your story on your profile and I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband, it sounds like it was a very long traumatic journey with an ending that broke my heart that little bit more and I absolutely feel your pain.  It sounds like you have a lovely family to offer support, but I know that's not always easy either.  Whilst we had support from other family members, sometimes I feel only my dad really understands, as he and I were with her every day, trying to be strong and positive, while in front of us she was totally broken and I can't imagine what was going through her mind at that time.  She said she wanted to have a family meeting to discuss it all, but we never got to that because she was back in hospital before we had the chance to arrange it.

I can totally understand how you feel about the trauma blocking your grief, I feel exactly the same.  I don't think I've even been able to think about that part yet because my head is so scrambled with the shambles that went before it.  The fact that we didn't feel that we had a full understanding of exactly what was going on and kept getting mixed messages didn't help.  Dad and I have talked about it and we both feel a bit cheated that we and mum didn't get time to think if she wanted one last anything, or process what was happening before it was too late.

Cancer, the detection, the treatments and everything about it is a lot more complicated than I was ever aware of, but when it's impacting your loved ones, you just want clear answers and help.  Before mum went back into hospital the last time, she was on so many different drugs we were struggling to handle them as nothing seemed to really be helping her pain as such.  When she was admitted they fitted the syringe drive and that's when they started her on the steroids, but even after 10 days of being on that she still wasn't comfortable and said that she'd thought she'd have felt better after being in hospital for that amount of time.  At one point she said she didn't want the drugs anymore because she didn't think they were helping and we had to try and discourage her from making any decisions until we could get a clear understanding of what they were all doing.  As we left the hospital that day we spoke to a nurse about it who said it wouldn't be a good idea and she'd get one of the Dr's to talk to mum about it.  I've no idea what happened, but when we got there the next day we found out that the steroids had been stopped, and that they were in the process of trying to get them re-authorised to be started again but it could take a few hours!  I know they have procedures to follow but it doesn't help when someone is suffering.

I feel like this is going to be a very long journey, and I will get some counselling, I feel I need it, but I don't think it's appropriate right now while dad's here, he needs me more.

I find using this forum does help me, knowing that I can "vent" and people understand feels like it lightens the load a tiny bit, but in the same way, be able to offer support to others that have had similar experiences and share their journeys.

Thinking of you and sending you all the support I can offer along with some big hugs.

Px