What could you wear after your hysterectomy?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Sorry me again. I 'live' in trousers. The advice sheet for my op says to bring loose fitting clothes for after the operation as they get you dressed asap after it as part of their enhanced recovery programme. I don't do dresses normally (unless for a wedding or such like) and if I've to wear the lovely stockings then a short dress is going to look awful. Maybe I should have more to worry me than how I look!!  lol

So may I ask, what did you find comfortable to wear after surgery?

Thanking you in advance

• Hi GrannyA,

I, too, live in trousers !!!

I like elasticated tops (no fastenings), and not tight fitting, so I found no problem wearing my ordinary clothes. I stuck to big knickers for a while!! I did have keyhole surgery which could make a difference.  xxxxxx  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NannyAnny

Thank you NannyAnny. I often wear leggings and loose tops, no fastenings but the CNS basically said to avoid any waistbands. Maybe I’ll just go home in a nightie lol. I went out and bought some as I’m more a PJ girl! 

My husband just doesn’t get why I’m wondering! 

• I normally wear skirts with elasticated waistbands, but was given no advice beforehand so had to go home in the one I went in with.  I was in hospital for 5 days and we weren't encouraged to wear our own clothes during the day.  I usually wear PJ's but luckily had worked out that nighties would be better for accessing my stomach which was lucky as I had keyhole and abdominal wounds to sort out plus a drain for several days which would have been awkward with PJ's so I bought several nighties beforehand.  

Hugs, Lesley xx

• Hi Granny A,

i wear leggings and dresses usually, my leggings waist band comes up above my waist and above my belly button, I wore my leggings home and found them really comfy, as usual, and liked the support they gave me. If yours are tighter you could maybe try a size bigger?  I like Sainsbury's soft touch luxury ones, they have a thicker waist band and don't fall down. 

I was also fine in my pyjamas but the ones I have are loose fitting over my belly and have a loose elastic waist. I had a nightie for the first night and the next morning I was into my pyjamas. Bigger full pants are good too. 

Xxx

• When I went in to hospital I wore kind of sweat-pants and a long baggy Tshirty top, and a little stretchy jacket which is washable.  I wore slip-on shoes so no bending down to tie my laces. I didn't take anything that I wouldn't want to lose or ruin.  I had keyhole surgery so I got a swollen tummy with 3 dressings on.  In the weeks after surgery I wore: stretchy dresses with leggings, or a long cotton skirt with elastic waist which was probably at least a size bigger than normal (left over from a long-ago summer holiday), or the stretchy sweat-pants (I think described as yoga pants) which I had got from Aldi. I have lots of stretchy sports kit which was handy.  When I went out I usually wore a great big long overcoat which hid the chaos beneath.  I usually wear fitted things or jeans but I steered clear of them for many weeks, months actually, although I was eventually back to my usual shape and size.  It was a long time before I got the confidence to try on my more fitted clothes as I did not know how I would handle it if nothing fitted any more!  All good eventually and probably taught me a lesson about vanity.

• PS i do remember some things wouldn't fit over the stockings, including most of my shoes and boots.

• I found I was fine in loose fitting elasticated waist joggers. I guess if you're really unsure if what you have is ok, it might be worth looking at some of the adjustable maternity trousers for a few weeks.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to TeddysMum

Thank you everyone that’s all really helpful. I go in tomorrow so I think I’ll pop out today and just buy some leggings in a bigger size just in case to make sure they are loose enough to be comfortable xx

•  I found loose night shirts great after the op (I had abdominal surgery via vertical incision) Went home in a denim skirt that buttoned through the front and hid the open top button under a tshirt. After that I lived in bigger trousers with a soft waistband and looser tops. Best tip I had re clothes was from my sister in law - invest in some big girl pants at least 2 sizes bigger to accommodate the post op swelling. Bliss! I was back into my own clothes and my jeans in a few weeks but occasionally needed to change into looser things during the evening as the swelling sometimes returned if I'd done too much. Comfort over style is probably the watchword for the next few weeks x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Fairycake

Thank you Fairycake. I have bought the big pants lol. I’m going to pop out for some bigger trousers just to be safe  As you say comfort over style for the next while xx