Recently diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. I was recently diagnosed with stage 4 Stomach cancer and oesophageal cancer. I am a 66 year old woman, usually in good health so this came out of the blue. Have had 5 days of RT to try and free up the stricture in my oesophagus to enable me to eat as was mainly on liquids. Will shortly be starting 3 months of chemo. What I have is inoperable so will be palliative treatment only. Just wondering if anyone else out there is going through or has been through this. I've had days of feeling pretty rough post RT. I know chemo is going to be tough but would like to hear other peoples stories and encouragement. I know I cant be cured but would like to live as long as possible and spend time with my 2 sons and 2 grandchildren. 

Thanks.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi. My husband was diagnosed with the same Xmas Eve! He’s had his first 5 cycles of chemo which did not work all that well, but they are still treating and he starts his 2nd line chemo next week. Although he has lost a lot of weight and has had to have stents fitted to his kidney tubes he is not doing too bad. We try to remain positive and hope for a miracle. He is 51 and I’m 46. 
    My thoughts are with you, stay well and keep going!

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for replying. That must have been tough for you hearing the news when you did. I hope your husband does start responding to chemo and feels a lot better. I think a positive attitude goes a long way. I wish you both all the luck in the world. Miracles can happen. You both take care, keep fighting.My thoughts are also with you both. Stay strong.

xx

• Hi 

i have just read your post and wanted to comment as i am in the exact same position. I am a 28 year old male and in great health as a keen cyclist too it was also a massive shock! Have you started the chemo? I started mine and abandoned it after the first cycle as it was awful. The hospital also told me it was also palliative so i decided to stop. I found the benefits just didn’t outweigh the side effects. Instead of chemo i have chosen to radically change my diet and i have hired a nutritionist to help me get all the anti cancer foods i can! I am also speaking to a professor from the Royal Marsden hospital in London about having immunotherapy and trying to beat this as naturally as possible! As a result of my diet and lifestyle change i actually feel amazing, just the same as pre cancer i can eat perfectly and i am feeling well every day! i take supplements that have been recommended to me by my nutritionist to help with any inflammation in my body! 
    i highly highly recommend a Look at your diet! I couldn’t believe how many amazing results have been achieved from dietary changes alone! There is an amazing book called Chris Beat Cancer that tells us so much about how much diet can compliment treatment! He also has a fab website full of tips and the best foods to eat with anti cancer properties too! 
    i hope your treatment goes well but one thing i feel i have to say, I feel that the NHS withheld a lot of treatment options from me and tried to discourage me looking into any private curative treatments in the UK or abroad! They seemed hell bent on getting me on palliative chemo which they told me would only buy me a year anyway. I found this so odd and strange that i decided to leave their care. Not saying that you shouldn’t listen or do what i’ve done but i really wanted to say that there are lots of options out there that i have found! Positivity is the best! Im super positive that i will get better and im feeling better and stronger with my diet and attitude! 
    all the best!! 
    Chris