Post extended gastrectomy with cramping symptoms..

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 23 subscribers

Hi all,

My younger brother who is in his early forties was diagnosed with GOJ cancer last year In October 2019 he had a extended gastrectomy. He has been doing well post surgery with all the rules eating little and often... staying hydrated, and focusing on protein. However he has been suffering from severe cramps over the past 2 weeks. They come and go. He cannot see a pattern with them occuring straight after food... and has not expanded his diet much. Last night he was in a lot of discomfort and didn't sleep. The cramps are in the bowel area. He will not take any painkillers and is reluctant to contact his nurse. He thinks it will pass. He is due to schedule his B12 injection very soon... not sure what the symptons would be for a B12 deficiency.  Does anyone have any advice in how i can encourage him to seek the right support or any suggestions in what may be able to help? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I remember similar things happening to me, was advised it’s all to do with new plumbing, but he should call his nurse to check if there’s anything they suggest. I was told to take buscopan, which I find do help and I occasionally take metroclopramide which helps with food motility and reduces any bile reflux I have. 

Wishing him well x