My dad has passed away

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 23 subscribers

Hi Everyone, I cant believe I am writing this but my dad has sadly passed away at the age of 55 after an ongoing battle with cancer. He was diagnosed with stomach cancer out of the blue 18 months ago and he underwent alot of treatment - 132 hours of flot intense chemo in total, a total gastrectomy and half esophagus removed. We were told in Jan this year that he was very successful and more or less got the all clear and was on the road to recovery which we were advised would be 1 to 2 years. 7 weeks ago we found out that the cancer had returned and there was nothing they could do. They said it was now secondary peritoneal cancer and fluid in his lungs. My dad was sent home to 'enjoy what time he had left' and sadly passed away 2 weeks ago with my family around him.

I feel very shocked, upset and my family feel extremely let down with my dads drs/surgeon/oncology team. We have lost alot of faith in the hospital where my dad was treated. For the last few months my dad had regular check ups at his gp - he got regular blood tests etc which were all coming back great. They kept telling him he was doing very well and he was on the road to recovery.

Although we know there is always a chance of reoccurance, how on earth after everything he went through treatment wise last year to being told he was very successful can we go to him not here so rapid after?

I have done alot of research into peritoneal cancer and it seems to be a very rare type which can be caused by TG surgery once they open you up in spreads. 

I have just turned 30 years old, my brother and sister are in their 20's and my mum is now on her own at 53 years old after a 33 year relationship. We were a very close family. My dad should have had another 25 years or so, he never got the chance to be a granda and he will never be able to walk me or my sister down the aisle.

Where is the justice in this?

If anyone has similar experiences please get in touch.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I breaks my heart to hear about your dad's journey, there is really no justice, I try to find peace thinking about compassion and love, these kind of feelings fostered in the human soul.