Diagnosed at 41

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi all. I’ve just been diagnosed with grade 2 Prostate cancer at 41. Advice given is to book in for prostatectomy ASAP but still coming to terms with the diagnosis, let alone treatment options. Any advice, similar experiences welcome. Can see the need to be proactive but would rather not rush in before thinking it all through. Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

*correction - stage 2*

• Hi Fred and welcome

I didn't think that you could get PC at that age, u may be a first although I do admit not much to celebrate about.

This sounds like a non aggressive type although u don't give a PSa or Gleeson, do u have these?

I would take your time and not rush into surgery, u don't want to be thinking about possible  ED at 41?

hopefully if the stats are low and the tumour is confined to the prostate u could go on active surveillance for a while.

try and get some more details of your diagnosis and let us know, there are plenty of people on here to give u good advice.

best wishes

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Thanks Fred. I wouldn’t be surprised if it started in my 30s but I was turned down by the GP as they said I was too young! If it’s happened to me then I guess it could happen to anyone although I do have family history.

PSA before biopsy was 10.1 and Gleason score is 7. 

• Ok Fred, sorry to hear.

Try and do some research online about different avenues u can go down  ie AS, surgery, Radiotherapy.

Looks like time is on your side anyway

Steve

• Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Fred. There appear to be a number of younger men being diagnosed. With Gleason 7 much depends on where the tumours are. If they are near the edge or making their way towards it prostatectomy would be better sooner rather than later.

Ido4