Travel insurance where diagnosis not yet complete

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

Hello. I have a general travel insurance policy via my bank. I has an exclusion for head and neck cancer which was cured three years ago. However, in the last fortnight I have been told I now have colon cancer. Detailed tests (including whether it has spread) have yet to be completed. But I am due to go to South America in three weeks, for a two week holiday. Can anyone suggest a reputable company I could approach. I have tried several online comparison sites but I've been rejected by all. many thanks in advance for any advice. T

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've just been diagnosed with colon cancer after previously having had head and neck cancer.

Unfortunately, as you've found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. 

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get travel insurance and that you have a great holiday

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"