Health Insurance suggestions for terminal cancer patients

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi,

My mother has a diagnoses of terminal cancer and is still well enough to travel currently.  In October she is hoping to be still well enough to go on a cruise to see the Northern Lights before she dies.  As a family  we hope she can achieve this but we are searching for Health insurance for her and my dad - She is 83 and my dad is 84.  Can anyone on this group give us suggestions of companies to try, we found the one regarding Insurewith.com from one of the people on this blog but is there other companies we could try too?

Thank you so much

Ruth

• Hi

That's great that your mum is well enough to travel but, unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis especially if that diagnosis is terminal. 

I hope I don't sound insensitive but has your mum had a terminal diagnosis, eg. there are no more options or treatments available, or is she incurable, eg. there are still treatments such as chemo, radiotherapy, etc? This is an important distinction to make as it will affect the cost and ability to get insurance. If she is classed as terminal then check with each provider that you ring what they class as terminal because some class it as having less that 6 months to live whilst others will say that it's less than 12 months to live.

I don't know whether you've looked through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

It is best to phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes. Make sure you have all the information to hand about your mum's diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance.

Some insurers will ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel. In any case it's always best to make sure that you have checked with your doctor that it's okay to travel and that this has been recorded in your notes in case of a claim.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced insurance for your mum and that she has a great holiday.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi Latchbrook,

Thank you so much for your reply and all the great information.  Mum is terminal, originally back in March she was given 6 months to a year but could be 14 months.  Currently, she is well or as well as can be expected and without pain which is great.  Will take on board what you said and will contact individual insurers to see what they require.

Thanks again for your support and help.

Ruth