Issues at work

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 42 subscribers

Hello everyone, I wander if anyone can help or give advice in this situation. Now my mam was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer nearly three years ago, work at the time were very understanding. Three years of near constant treatment has left my mam very frail and this year she was admitted to hospital with a serious lung infection for which I called in sick, and then a few months later for a suspected heart attack ( which was the tumour pressing on her heart causing arrhythmia) and again on Monday as she had fallen and broken her wrist. So understandably my bradford score factor at work has gone up. I am now facing a disciplinary hearing for these absences. I have heard this is illegal as I am my mams primary caregiver. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am sorry to hear about your work issues and your mum's ongoing health problems and it is only right that you want to look after her a much as possible.

As a carer you do have some protection in law as your are looking after someone with a disability and cancer is classed as a Disability.

You might find this to be of interest

Your rights as a carer

If you phone McMillan support line and ask to speak to a work support adviser Tel number 0808 808 0000 the team are available (Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm)

You can also email them with full details of your enquiry to Ask a Work Support Adviser  group. It would be helpful if you were able to give them information on your absences i.e. time off for absences and the number of occasions in each of the 52 week periods for the last 3 years as defined in your Bradford scale score.

I hope this help but I do advise that you either phone or email the work support team as soon as possible to get advice.

Ian