Ex husband given terminal diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi I have just joined as I could really do with some advice

I have been divorced from my ex husband for many years but we have 3 grown up children together

I have recently found out that he has terminal stomach cancer and doesn’t have long. 

He has told the kids that they can’t tell me anything about it as he doesn’t want me having anything to do with it. 

His wife hates me so i think thats the reason behind that

The kids don’t want any support from me at all which i find hard to come to terms with. 

Also i’m not sure how I feel about him dying, should I grieve for him how will my husband now feel?

I know i won’t be welcome at his funeral so how can I mark this just by myself?

thank you for taking the time to read and answer this as I don’t know who else to ask. 

• Cockerpoo1

I have no words of advice other than to say, be there for your children if or when they ever turn to you in their grief. Listen to what they say and resist the urge to be critical about their father or his current wife.

When the time comes and it is the funeral you could spend the time it alone as you see fit... if you are religious then maybe go along to your church or within the grounds to pray and have quiet time (covid permitting). Or stay home, light a candle and remember the good times you shared and the children you created. 

Only you can answer if you are saddened by the news ... some exes would be devastated whilst others would be unaffected.

From the sound of things you would be unwelcome at the funeral, so avoid the confrontation.

• Dear Cockerpool 1

Old-fashioned  courtesy states people are never INVITED  to funerals, they are simply informed. So you and anyone have a right to attend  -   but only if that's  what  you wish to do?  However  I think Pooka has given you excellent guidance.  Just take good care of yourself. Its clear to me  your heart and soul are in the right place. Bless you. 

Geoff 

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• The problem with current restrictions on numbers means that it can feel as if you’re ‘inviting’ people even though you’re not! 
    Cockerpoo 1, it’s not an easy place to be but I think the advice from Pooka is good. Take care of yourself and trust your instincts. 
    x

• Hii lost my first husband only a few months after we divorced and my second husband was difficult over it. He as did many others believed I would have no feelings for him. I was devastated deep down. His was a sudden death. I loved him dearly and I still do  we had 2 children together, who at the time where only 14 and almost 10 and together 26 years. 

My second husband died last Christmas, it took me that long to grieve my first husband. I think I suddenly felt I could grieve him then. Try to talk to to someone who understands. Few people will. You can always message me

Love and hugs Alison xxx