OLD MEMORIES

• 3 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Dear all, 

I'm shocked! 

Ive just looked through our family photos in the many albums that have been collecting dust for so many years. 

Why during my sweethearts last year I had I forgotten them? Anne and myself were married for 50yrs but during her last month I spent too much time appoliging for all my failings. She looked confused as to where I was coming from. That of course didn't help and I became even more guilty. I love that sweetheart of mine so much that at times I don't think she deserved me. I was at my wits end emotional at one time in my life that I had a very brief liaison with another woman which ended  quickly because I felt so disgusted with myself.  Events followed whereby I told my darling:  Yet she forgave me!  In the distant past when we were both young in marriage I slapped her face. Later during another argument Anne scratched my face  - I never retaliated. Yet all the following years our love prevailed. I would have died for that girl of mine. We had wonderful times. Camping with close friends and  I took my Anne on all  the cruises she wanted and I loved them to. And after I retired I spent all my time cosseting my darling because she suffered so much. Non Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer which she survived. Lupus, an incurable immune system disorder plus Reynaulds disease, a circulation disorder. My soul mate eventually passed over from pancreatic cancer in July 2018. Why am I so racked with guilt? Why had I forgotten all the good times brought back by those photo albums? They represented 99% of our beautiful marriage. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

There is no such thing as the perfect relationship, we all have our ups and downs, that’s part of life. At the end of the day you were there for your lovely wife when it counted and the lovey you had is so clear, it’s obvious in the words you have put. So maybe try and give yourself a break and be proud of what you did for her and cherish what you had.

I am going to try to do the same after losing my soul mate 9 days ago. It’s natural to reflect and question everything you did but you clearly were an amazing couple x

• Geoff,

It is time to put your guilt behind you and remember that you had a good and loving marriage.  Your lovely wife chose to forgive you and you both had many more happy years together.  It is time to forgive yourself. 

You were there to cherish, love and look after your wife and it is obvious from your message that you both loved each other dearly.  Take comfort from the photos and remember the many happy times that you shared together rather than dwelling on the brief unhappy time.

Just maybe, your beloved Anne wants you to look at the photo albums, to dust them off and fill your heart and mind with the happy memories.

x

• Thank you all for your kind and understanding ways. I dont know what else to say other than I loved that girl of mine beyond all  compare. Thats why my past failings have haunted me so much. They didn't represent the man I truly am. And thats what hurts. X

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.