A beautiful day to set Ric free

• 17 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Well my choosen date has finally arrived to set Ric free. It is a beautiful summer's day and he loved these sort of days. Back to the army where he started on this day in 1975 and lived there even before then.

So off to Dorset in an hour on his final day trip. Part of me is glad to.set him free in a place he loved and part of me wants to keep him in the summerhouse because he is still there. I know that is not right for Ric though. And he is here, both in a few ashes in the garden and in our memories and my heart.

It feels strange to be so final though. 

He told me to live my life and move on. I don't want to meet anyone else, twice widowed is enough but I do want to move forward and start changing things. So deep breath and brave the day I guess. Feels weird.

Hope everyone has a good day. Xxx

• Yes Mccmcc I feel a lot better from finally being able to do it. I smile when I saw that guard coming over, I started tipping him.out of the container quicker, thought if I have done it it will be too late!!! Lol. 

I feel that he is at peace now and I can move forward..

Thank you xxx

• Hi Akela,

Good to hear that the day went as well as it could do. It took me a while to deal with my husband's ashes as needed to coordinate with my stepson etc. 

Whilst it was an emotional day, I did feel lighter for finally fulfilling my husband's wishes the best way I could. I am glad you had a positive moment too.  Take care. 

With lots of love,

Dutsie Xx

• Thank you Dutsie,

It is strange how much lighter you feel. I feel I have completed his journey now. I will always miss and love him and he isn't gone, just put to rest and set free. I was strangely just thinking that I am glad it is raining now because he won't have blown away but will be in the soil of the place he loved. I know it is a strange thought! 

It was nice to go alone to be honest. I am glad I found the strength to do that. It meant one last chat and drive with him.

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well done Alison. I enjoyed your story of quick action when the guard appeared.  
    Rose

• Thank you Rose. It was quite funny really! I am glad there was a bit of humour too. I want to remember good times not bad. 

Hope you are well xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Alison,

I hope it went well. 

It is strange thing, indeed, to part with the essence of the person you loved so much. But you know that is not what you parted with xx

Andy has been buried, and I have now had the headstone inscribed and erected. I have been to visit and laid flowers, but he is not there. Or rather, all which he once was is not there.

Thinking of you all.

D

• There's fors and against with both cremation and burial. Colin decided he wanted to be buried. It's a good job he said so because I would of had him cremated (much to his mams displeasure).  Now I have somewhere to go and it makes me 'GO' to the cemetery- and I go everyday- Alison kept some ashes back for jewellery or a garden ornament and I would've loved something like that.  He may not be 'there' but when the headstone goes up January time and a bench put in place October time (Colins birthday is 20th)  it will feel like a place for all the family to go to when it suits them

Love to all xx

Tomorrow is another day