Bereavement Counseling

• 32 replies
  • 31 subscribers

My first bereavement counseling session starts on Monday and I was wondering whether any of you had any experience with it? I'm not particularly positive about it nor negative. In fact, like about so many other things these days, I don't really care much about it neither. I only decided to take up the offer because it is a free service organised through my workplace and I was encouraged to give it a go. Maybe I'm doing this just to please people around me and show my willingness to seek help. Now, with the professional taking over, maybe I'm giving the permission to my friends and family to become bystanders rather than active participants in my grief. They can take a break.

I suppose I'm a bit worried that I wouldn't hear anything that I already don't know - stages of grief, coping strategies, how to be kind to yourself. All those things that mean nothing in moments when I'm paralysed by sadness and desperation. It's been 4 months now, and as you all know, it is not getting any easier.

Most of the time I feel as if I don't  have a reason to get up in the morning, we didn't have kids, so I'm seriously considering getting a dog. I have spent 2 weeks with my mum's dog over the festive season and he made such a positive difference to the way I was feeling. Something to discuss in my therapy sessions, I suppose.

Dalia xx