Feeling low today. Please tell me something to make me laugh or smile

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Don't know why I'm feeling down today. I lost my wonderful wife Margi, after 42 years together last October. Most days I cope but I do miss her so much and I keep it all together with my grown up children and family-mine and Margi's but when I have some quiet time it get's me when I'm not expecting it.

Last week I watched Midsomer Murders (I know!) and it was at a fairground. I saw them eating candyfloss and it reminded me of a time a couple of years ago when we hired a motor trike for the day and amongst other places we went to we found a fair and ate some candyfloss. I balled my eyes out for at least an hour with the realisation that those daft times won't come again and without Margi I'm destined to be the boring serious practical person that I am.

This grieving thing catches us all out when we least expect it and I guess the crying is a release.

Please don't see this as a negative posting. It's not. I had a wonderful time with Margi and was very  lucky to have met her, but I do miss the opportunity to be stupid that only happened when I was with her.

So please tell me and other contributors something to make us smile or laugh at this very tough time in our lives

Big hugs

IanB

• What a lovely post.

I think you will have to find the new you, not just the practical you. Everyone in a "pair" takes on a role. Over the years to compliment the other half and now we have to work out how to live alone.

My husband was definitely the more generous and patient out of the 2 of us so now I try to pause before I say no or get cross!!! 

As yesterday was Father's Day we went to visit my husband and we always stop at the same shop for flowers for him. Yesterday they didn't have any at all.

I was so upset, of all the days to not take him anything. My son's both comforted me, and the eldest actually said Dad wouldn't want flowers anyway. You never bought him any when he was alive, I'm sure he would prefer you to buy a small bottle of wine and pour it over him. We all smiled and that's what we did. I'm sure he appreciated the wine much more than flowers. 

Take care everyone on this journey Wine glass

• Ruby diamond x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello IanB

I so feel for you, it's so hard isn't it? My hubby Paul lost his short (5 1/2 month) fight just two months ago. It all happened much quicker than anyone had expected in the end. We had been together for 25 years.

I understand what you mean about keeping it together when with family and friends but sometimes not being able to when we are on our own. I too think of funny things that happened when Paul and I were being silly, this is very silly and others may not think it funny, one night I was in bed and Paul was getting ready, he picked something up off of the floor, (it was a small stone), I said, what's that and he with his cheeky grin said, it's my tooth, I don't know why but we couldn't stop laughing, we were hysterical for ages Joy. I really miss his sense of humour and the way he always knew if I was feeling down and how to make me feel better. 

I too feel I am lucky to have known and loved such a sweet, kind, sensitive man but I wish he hadn't had to leave.

Sending hugs and hopefully positive thoughts to you and everyone suffering through the loss of their loved ones. 

Love, June xxx

• Hi Ian, June and all,

I am sorry you have been feeling particularly low today, Ian. I hope the day turned out to be somewhat okay though. And I hope that somehow you got a bit of a laugh out of something in the end ;-)

As for the silliness, yes, my husband and I were doing that all the time as well. My parents used to laugh and say, "You two are just like children sometimes." And I think indeed that we helped each other to access and live from our inner child a lot more than we would have done without one another. We used to speak in funny voices sometimes - like cartoon voices. And I remember incidents like the following: Paul was standing in our bedroom and held up a hot water bottle which was empty. I asked him, "Will I put water into that for you?" And he came up to me with the empty bottle and squeezed the air out of it in small bursts into my face and said, "Do you feel that? - Rubber breath." It's probably not so funny reading this, but when he did that, I couldn't stop laughing for ages. It was just the way in which he had said it. There were so many of such incidents.

Love, Mel.

^

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ruby Diamond

Hi Ruby Diamond,

Thanks for your post yesterday. It did make me smile

take care

IanB

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MelanieL

Hi Mel,

Your post did make me laugh and remember some more silly times with Margi. Thanks for taking the time.

take care

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi June

Thanks for taking the time to post. It did make me laugh. Times with our special partners gave us a freedom to be daft.

I guess in the "new Normal" we all have to cherish the times we had. I know my children look on me as dad and with that goes a whole set of responsibilities so I'm happy that I'm their for them but they never fully know their real dad and it's starting to make me think of all the facets of my parents (no longer with us) character that I never knew and how they too had daft times that no one ever knew about.

Thanks for the smile

take care

Ian

• Dear Ian,

Richard and I used to revert to film quotes and book characters often. We could have whole conversations quoting whilst getting the message across.

Return of king - “…..but it is not this day”

When we wanted to get out of doing something!

Wilbur Smith Books - “you are no Sean Courtney”

My way of putting Richard in his place.

Last Boy’s Scout - “Touch me again I’ll kill ya”

Before the play fight!

Last Boy’s Scout - “When you’re done feeling sorry for yourself, the doors that way!”

Timing was important on this one. This one was at times very annoying….urgh!

True Lies - “Women. Can’t live with them. Can’t kill ‘em”

In jest, I would reply "you can but you just go to jail. Acting Dick!" (With reference to his legal background and name lol).

Finding Forrester - “The key to women’s heart is an unexpected gift, at an unexpected time”

We shared many adventures together. I am grateful for this and always cherish these memories.

Finding Forrester - “The rest of those who gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow”

The “unrest” Richard felt when he lost his fiancé, I now understand this. It was 6 months on father’s day just gone. I was so consumed with it being 6 months that I nearly forgot to contact my stepson until later in the day. He was all too aware, doubly! This day caught me out a couple of times and shared a few tears with friends when they asked me how I was generally. It was a release and I then decided to take the following Monday off work so that I could reflect on things. Just needed some time out and now….

Finding Forrester – “Losing family obliges us to find our family, not always the family that is blood, but the family that could become our blood. And should we have the wisdom to open our door to this new family, we will find that the wishes we once had…..”

Not going to finish the quote (watch the movie!). Can you guys tell that both Richard and I loved this movie? For us, or I should now say, for me, it is having the wisdom to open doors to new experience and finding a different kind of happiness. Hope some of the above made you smile in the interim.

With lots of love Dutsie Xx

Ps I could have added so many more quotes Stuck out tongue winking eye