Cancer stories

• Community News : Bereavement in the media - coping with grief

'Bereavement and the media' written in white over a photo of a lighthouse and the sea taken by David.

Today we are back with the third instalment of our series on coping with bereavement. This series aims to start conversations about grief and loss and provide reassurance that there is support out there if you have lost a loved one to cancer.

Today we wanted to spend some time thinking about bereavement and the media and the effect it can have on those who are grieving. Whether you are watching your favourite television…

• Community News : Being bodies - Sophie, body confidence and her double mastectomy

"The newer me is strong, resilient and fierce" written over a picture of Sophie at Table Mountain in South Africa.

Our new series “Being bodies” aims to explore our relationships with our bodies, from head to toe and everything in between. We recently featured Sophie’s story, where she talked about her experience being diagnosed with the BRCA2 gene mutation at 24 years old. Today, she’s here to talk about how having a double mastectomy changed how she felt about her body, for the better.

A bit about me... I…

• Community News : Cancer & me 35 years on - Vol 11 Good news, bad news

Cancer & me 35 years Vol 11 written next to a sketched portrait of Paul by Willo.

We are back today with the next instalment of Willo’s blog series ‘Cancer & me 35 years on’. Willo is a member of our Community who was diagnosed with Anal cancer in 1986 while living in Zambia and has been sharing her experience of life post diagnosis, as well as her amazing artwork, in her blog series with us since last summer.

So far Willo has covered her experience of moving back to England for…

• Community News : Cancer & me 35 years on - Vol 10 'A Chance encounter'

'Cancer & me 35 years on, Vol 10' written over a photograph of lots of tubes of paints and paintbrushes laid out on a wooden table.

We are back today with a further instalment of Willo's blog series 'Cancer & me 35 years on.' Willo is a member of our Community who was diagnosed with Anal cancer in 1986 while living in Zambia and has been sharing her experience of life post diagnosis, as well as her amazing artwork, in her blog series with us.

So far Willo has covered her experience of moving back to England for treatment, her Br…

• Community News : Let's talk about treatment: sinus cancer and surgery.

A black and white portrait image of Dan, wearing a patch over one eye.

Dan (pictured above), known on the site as Defiantlydisfigured, was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in the ethmoid sinus in 2012, which is a very rare type of cancer. He underwent surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Dan found support from sharing his story online in blog posts and on social media, and he continues to raise awareness for facial cancers.

I was 34 and told that I had a large tumour growing inside…

• Community News : “I was diagnosed at 24” - Sophie’s story

"Sophie's story" written over a picture of Sophie before surgery, and four months after her surgery.

Image: Sophie (left) just after being discharged from hospital, and Sophie (right) 4 months after surgery.

Sophie found out that she had the BRCA2 gene mutation at 24, which increases the risks for certain cancers. Sophie opted to have a double mastectomy, as a preventative surgery. In her guest blog today, Sophie talks about her decision, navigating the healthcare system and finding support.

I’m Sophie, 28 years old…

Personal Experiences
There are no posts with the requested tag.