Awaiting Diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

So, a couple of weeks ago I noticed what felt like a hardening of my testicle, it felt like two hard lumps which pretty much consumed 50% of the surface of the testicle. I made an appointment with my GP who scheduled an ultrasound. 

I had the ultrasound scan on Monday, the sonographer didn't go through any results or findings with me. I did however see on the scan image on the screen two large masses which were coloured red, and blue. I believe this is to show blood flow to these masses? but I have no idea what that actually means in context. 

I am also currently suffering with a pretty much constant dull ache in my testicle and lower abdomen, occasionally a dull ache in my lower back too. I've been told my GP should be in touch within a week to give me my results. At the minute, I'm expecting the worst. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Called my GP today and the receptionist said she'd ask one of the doctors to take a look at the ultrasound, and then asked me to call back after 1pm today to get the results.

5 minutes later she calls me back to inform me a doctor has taken a look and asked if I can come in today for an appointment.

• Hi Percy,

sorry you find yourself here.  I found this forum a massive help, just to sound off a bit, and to receive advice and others experience.  

Whatever news you get today, the prognosis for TC is excellent.

cone back let us know how you are

take care

dan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Odbball

Hi Dan,

Yes it's good just to be able to read other people's experiences and to get things off my chest.

My GP went through my ultrasound with me and explained that there is a 2cm mass, with vascular supply, and signs of calcification on the testicle. He has referred me to a Urologist and my appointment is on Friday. 

I guess i'm not really sure what to expect from this first Urologist consultancy? I'm presuming based on the ultrasound results he'll make an educated decision as to whether there is enough risk to warrant surgery? My GP has already mentioned the possibility of a biopsy being required. Which again I presume would warrant surgery.

I think at the minute I'm just feeling slightly overwhelmed.

• Hi,

With any suspicion of the testicle being cancerous, it will be removed, as biopsy’s can’t safely be conducted on a testicle without removing it first.  Add to that, it is very rare a testicle is removed and it is not cancer.  You will barely find a thread on here where that happened.

So, likely outcome of urologist appointment will be the op, followed by a ct scan that will check to see any evidence of spread - mainly enlarged lymph nodes. the biopsy and the ct scan results Will determine if surgery was enough at this point or whether you require any further treatment, either 1 blast of carboplatin or 3 rounds of BEP chemo.

Whatever your results, your prognosis remains excellent.  Those words won’t stop you worrying, and hating the waiting for appointments and results 

Some good news - if you have critical illness insurance it will pay out!   

hope that helps

take care 

dan