“Partial Response” to Chemotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi,

just seeing if anyone as any knowledge or experience with partial response to chemotherapy?

1. Seminoma Stage 1 Sept 2017 - Treatment with orchiectomy.

2. Relapse September 2019 with 12mm and 8mm mass in para aortic lymph nodes. Treatment Carboplatin Chemotherapy auc10 x 3 cycles.

3. Scan January 2020 showed a partial response to chemo with masses immeasurable (too small to measure)

any thoughts?

thanks

mike

• Hi mike,

The findings of your scan sound like a contradiction - partial response with immeasurable masses.  I’d have thought immeasurable masses would suggest a complete response to the treatment?  

The general agreed standard is any lymph nodes under 10mm are “normal”.  After 4 x EP chemo I had one lymph node that was still 8mm, but was deemed “normal” as below 10mm.   Actual report states complete response with some residual mass, likely scarring.

Do you know what size they measured your lymph nodes at post chemo?

The good thing is, you are pure seminoma, so if the last treatment didn’t get it the next, if it’s required, most likely will, very high percentage chance, above 85% cure rate still.

thanks

dan

• Hi Dan,

Pre-chemo the masses were 8mm and 12mm. Post chemo the mass was still present but supposedly so small that the radiologist was unable to measure it hence “immeasurable”. So doctor rang and called saying I’ve had a good partial response.

Im not sure if there ever was a lymph node in the mass location I think it just grew?! 

How big was your residual mass, 8mm?

Thanks

Mike

• Hi Miley,

after chemo my lymph node measured 8mm, under the 10mm benchmark, but significant enough to be mentioned in a report.  I was put on surveillance

With you having no measurable mass I suspect you will also be put on surveillance.  What have you been told are the next steps?

take care

dan