Little confused

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi guys,

posted a few weeks back, was waiting for results (biopsy). I found out on Monday just gone the following;-

classical Seminoma - Tumor Size: 4cm

now this is what I’m confused about, and maybe someone can shed some light pls... when I got the news, the consultant said he was happy no further treatment would be needed, my lymph nodes were fine and chest/lungs clear, his actual words were, it’s contained, and discharged me. 

after leaving his office I had to wait for nurse, once in there, she explained that all paperwork blood tests etc now will go to Barts hospital, she requested I had Tumor markers done that day, and again in two weeks. She echoed what the consultant had told me, classic Seminoma, however, because the size of Tumor, the stage is T2. She said my oncologist is someone called Gillian, and that they may want to give me a cycle of chemo just to prevent coming if back ! I was a little confused, as 20 mins earlier the consultant informed me he was happy with that contained. The nurse did say it all depends on the oncologist.. so I went away, had my blood test and went home pretty happy!

today I came home and had letter from Southend hospital asking to attend Tuesday so see medical oncology, is that normal ? Has something shown on my blood tests I had that day ? Have they elevated ? I wasn’t even offered another Ct scan... just a little curious, and would love to hear back from someone who experienced this. Obviously I would love that I wouldn’t need any treatment, and from my consultant saying no treatment, happy contained, and then nurse saying they may give me  a shot of chemo, to then receiving this letter .. I’m a little confused..

thanks

• Hi, 

Fantastic news that it is a seminoma! The better one to get although both v treatable. 

My husband had a similiar experience in terms of being told by the urologist last Dec that no more treatment would be required and then we saw the Oncologist in Feb who said he did due to the fact he had a mixed germ cell tumour ( he had another one which was pure seminoma) and “ vascular invasion”. 

I think all cancer cases are referred to an oncologist who are the cancer experts and will advise on whether treatment is required after meeting other experts in a multi disciplinary hearing and discussing your case. Everyone sees an oncologist so do not be alarmed about that. It sounds like if you do need chemo it will be purely for preventative measures and will be one cycle. From what I have read carboplatin is the one for seminoma and you don’t even lose your hair and it’s straightforward. 
    I hope you can rest easy that no spread and the type of cancer is very good news.  
    The waiting is tough but keep busy in between apt’s. Don’t google too much and we are all here to answer questions if can. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for the reply... so as you said, they told your husband one thing and turned out to be another, most probably what’s going to happen to me by the sounds of it. Even on the booklet they sent me she’s highlighted stage 2, spread, so confusing to be told I’m clear and that cancer was contained, but everything seems to be pointing in having treatment. I’ll guess I find out Tuesday. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi there, 

I just wanted to echo your experience - my husband had his first cancer 2006, and was told it was stage 1, best possible case and then told they give chemo as a precaution. So he had three sessions. He did lose his hair, but tolerated it well. Even to this day he isn't sure why they did it. It seems like it was a bit unnecessary. 

Hope you got some answers as the worst part for sure is waiting and uncertainty.