PI-RADS 4?

• 7 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi,

I’m new here - a 48 yr old man who is fit and healthy (other than high grade non-invasive bladder cancer) and now it looks like I may have prostate cancer. I am very worried and wondered if anyone can reassure me while I wait for biopsy results.
My PSA doubled in 6 months but is still only 2. DRE was negative but since every male relative on my father’s side (him included) have had prostate cancer, I was sent for an mpMRI. This revealed a tumour suspicious lesion of 1.1 x 0.7 x 0.5 cm with a PI-RADS score of 4 and possible breach of the capsule and involvement of seminal vesicles. 
The urologist who did the biopsies said more than 50% chance of cancer. 
48 seems a bit early to get prostate cancer (although it was even younger in terms of bladder cancer).

i suppose I just wondered if anyone else had a PIRADS 4 score that turned out to be nothing?

Thanks!

• Hi Alex, sorry to hear of your situation.

PIRADS 4/5 would normally indicate cancer but not always and impossible to speculate until u have the biopsy results.

Psa is still low so unusual if it has spread outside the gland.

Hopefully someone will appear who had a PIRADS 4 with negative outcome.

Is your bladder cancer sorted or r u still on treatment?

Keep in touch, all the best

Steve

• Thanks a lot Steve. Much appreciated. I know I should wait for my biopsy results but you know how it is, my mind is racing!

My bladder cancer is under control but it has a high tendency to recur, and I’ve been told that if it comes back they will need to take out my bladder. I’m about to start maintenance treatment for 3 weeks from Wednesday. 

I worry that if I have prostate cancer as well they’ll recommend removing both bladder and prostate as I am counted as young at 48.

But I’m just going to take one step at a time!

Can I ask, would a 1.1 cm tumour be small? My prostate volume is 32 cc so it’s not so big.

• To put it in perspective my no 1 tumour started at about .4 cm and grew to 1.3 before treatment. So yours is not particularly small but not massive either.

Do u know were it is in the prostate, hopefully not near the capsule edge.

Before having the bladder removed, if becomes necessary, could be worth a second opinion.

How long do u have to wait for biopsy results?

Regards

Steve

• Thanks. That is really helpful and does put it in perspective. So yours basically trebled in size! Was that over a long period?

The urologist showed me where the lesion was on a diagramme and it is near the capsule edge. The MRI report says the border with the capsule is difficult to assess due to “movement artifact”.

Good idea re second opinion. I will definitely do that as it is a life changing choice.

I have another week to wait, although my experience from bladder biopsies is they always say 14 days but usually it is available sooner. 

Thanks again  

Alex 

• Alex

Yes , was over 4 years so slow growing.

The puzzle about your situation is the low psa.

Hopefully the biopsy will show the MRI info to be incorrect.

All the best

Steve

• Thanks Steve. Yes, the low PSA is on my side! Fingers crossed. I’ll let you know anyway. 

Cheers

Alex

• Steve,

i thought I’d let you know. The MRI scan was wrong!  No cancer in the biopsies. I’m not sure if they will repeat them but I’m seeing the urologist tomorrow morning before starting my bladder cancer treatments. 

I’m very relieved and just want to thank you for your kind responses to my questions. 

Hopefully, I will just have to deal with one form of cancer going forward!

All the best and best of luck to you in you treatments and journey!

Alex