PSA After Treatment

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

I was diagnosed with PC May 17,  PSA 9, Gleason 4+3, T2c/T3a?.  Aged 58.

Had the option of Open RP, Robotic RP or Radiotherapy.

Opted for RT and immediately put on Bicalutamide.  

Started RT mid Oct 17 and finished mid Nov 17 , 20 sessions over 4 weeks, PSA was down to 3.3 prior to start..

First PSA in Dec 17 after RT Finished 0.6 (still on HT).

Mar 18 PSA 0.1 (still on HT).

Came off Bicalutamide end of Jun 18.

Sep 18 PSA after all treatment 0.38

Jan 19 PSA 0.6 (3 months)

Apr 19 PSA 0.6 (3 moths)

Nov 19 PSA 0.9 (6 months)

Jan 20 PSA 0.8 (3 months) Latest test

Oncologist not to concerned, PSA a bit up and down, no real concern about doubling times. However, if it rises above 1 he will consider scans or tests, he thinks it could be dormant prostate cancer cells somewhere in the body that are producing the PSA. Apparently some cancer cells can be tolerant to Radiation.

I asked if the PSA could be be produced by any remaining healthy prostate cells and he thinks not.

Has any one else had a similar story/results.

Would love to hear from you.

Kind regards.

mark

• Hi Wezpop

I am similar to yourself, Had RT 2017, psa 11, gleeson 6, tumour contained.

Last Psa was similar to your latest, with RT Psa doesn't always go to zero, unlike with surgery,  it will reach a low point(nadir) and hopefully will not resume an upward trend .

In your case it went up a bit after HT ended but it seems stable at the moment, so long as it doesn't start moving up on 2/3 psa results u should be ok.

Only difference with me was that I didn't have HT

By the way your point about healthy remaining prostate cells producing psa I think is correct, healthy prostate cells can bounce back after RT unlike cancer cells in the prostate.

Best wishes

Steve

• Cheers Steve

Best wishes

Mark