High Dose Brachytherapy in Prostate Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 108 subscribers

I've had Prostate C for 14-15 years and been treated with radiotherapy , HIFU and various combinations of drugs . PSA is rising and I've been referred to Dr Alonsi at Mount Vernon for High dose-rate Brachytherapy. My tumour is not in Prostate but in seminal vesicles.

Would appreciate any input on side effects, recovery time, the hospital  or any other relevant experiences.Thanks. Grambo

• Hi Grambo

I had my RT (external beam)  at Mount Vernon nr Northwoood, this after changing hospitals twice before . I was  impressed with the service that I had, very professional.  HDR Bracci is relatively new in the UK but I have read good things about it.

I don't know for sure but I  think that HDR side effects and recovery time is similar to EB.

This does seem like a good option for you

regards

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi Grambo,

My husband had HDR nearly a month ago following several months of HT. He is now on daily sessions of external Rt. The HDR went very well; involved an overnight stay in hosp. The procedure involves a general anaesthetic and takes around 3 hours. Catheter inserted overnight and taken out the following day and as soon as the required amount of urine has been passed you are able to go home. 

The immediate side effect was an increased urgency to pass urine which has now eased. still need to go more frequently but the urgency is far less. Has to go a couple of times during the night but all in all the side effects are manageable.

hope this helps.

From Carol

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Carol

Thanks for your feedback it is very useful.

Good luck to your husband for the rest of his treatment.

Best wishes

Grambo