dabrafenib and trametinib Side effects

• 6 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi all, 

Just a quick question about Dabrafenib and Trametinib side effects. 

I started taking them on Boxing Day.

I then got high temperatures on New Year’s eve and ended up spending a couple of nights in hospital. It then started again a week later. The hospital have been good and explained it’s a side effect and I should take paracetamol. I’ve been doing this and have been feeling fine.

A couple of days ago it started again. I get this weird muscle pain in my feet and then high temperatures start. The high temperatures  come down with paracetamol and I feel a bit achy.

It’s the night times I am struggling with. I have woken up for the last couple of nights and felt really cold and shaky and have been shaking so much I feel like I am going to be sick. (But no high temperature) Advice from hospital has been to keep on with the paracetamol. I also think at night times I am panicking and that also explains things - almost like panic attacks along with everything else.

I’m feeling much better today, much more energy and no temperatures. Almost back to normal and no foot pain which is great!

Has anyone else suffered with this side effect and if you have how long did it last? The hospital keep saying that things should calm down in a couple of months... 

Thanks and best wishes to you all. 

• Hi Itook these tablets for 7 months before going on to immunotherapy. I had similar side effects and ended up in hospital with a high temperature. I also was better taking paracetamol. I used to shake with cold and also was frightened at the intensity of the shaking. At the time I hadn't read up about the side effects but now know they are common with these tablets.  When outside the house I had to wrap up really well and I still at times felt so cold . It would come on all of a sudden and I would start to shake. 

It does help to know this is just a side effect and in time it may  go. I am now on immunotherapy and find the side effects much easier to handle. I wish you well with this treatment and as the hospital said it may calm down once the body gets used to it .

Lgrgdg90
  • Hiya 

Thanks for your reply. Glad you are ok on your treatment. 

it’s reassuring to know that other people have had similar side effects. I was warned about them but like you I find the shaking quite scary. It’s been a rough couple Of days but I seem to be througit now. Maybe there is a pattern, who knows! I think when it happens at night but fingers crossed I’ve got a break from it, even for a short time would be good Relaxed

Thanks again and hope you are doing ok x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to JosieK

Hi I just wanted to let you know that things will get easier! I started these exact tablets may1 of last year. I experienced every symptom you listed for the first 2 months. I think my body adjUsted I have not had any problems at all and these symptoms disappeared. I hope it will be the same for you 

• Hi

That’s really great to hear, thank you for replying.  I have had a really good week - my temperatures seem to be calming down and my skin is starting to clear (I think!) I’ve got a little bit of psoriasis on my hands but I get that occasionally anyway. 
    I hope that I will follow in your footsteps, good to hear some positive news! I have completed my first month and feel really pleased it’s gone ok so far. 

• Hi Josie glad your now feeling abit better on the tablets Blush .. i started my adjuvant immunotherapy for stage 3 I think we spoke in your last thread ..at the start of this month and up to now I've been lucky with the side effects I know that can change at any time but hoping it stays the same Fingers crossed I had my 3 week bloods done thus week an they have all come back fine so I can have second treatment in three weeks time ! Hope your well X 
  • Hiya 

Ah that’s great to hear!! Hope you still feeling well. All ok here, I’ve been having some side effects but nothing major - I’ve managed to decorate my son’s bedroom this week so I’m really pleased! I’ll probably feel shattered next week, but for now the minor side effect niggles are very manageable ! 

Hope you are still managing ok 

xx