News from consultant

• 2 replies
  • 55 subscribers

Hi I had a pet scan a month or so ago and at first the results were very good .

I was told to have two biopsies,one on a lymph node and one on the thyroid gland. Both have come back clear. However after the phone call today I am going to continue Nivolumab for another year as well as 3 monthly CTscans. After looking again at my scan results the consultant and radiographer feels my tumour although probably dead is still big and a shiny part near kidney showed up on my pet scan.I am both relieved I am continuing and sorry that I have another year of treatment. Again I still feel lucky and privileged to be able to have this treatment. I go for treatment next Wednesday. Good luck to all going through this and thanks to all the people who keep me well 

• Hi , I think we get used to everything that they they throw at us. I remember when starting on Pembrolizumab I read that people were on it for life, not knowing how long life would be. I was so pleased to be able to stop mine after a year, and disappointed but relieved to go back onto it when I have had a recurrence. You are so right one more year on treatment can be looked at as not as good as being off treatment and less hospital visits or be looked at as great, more security, and one more year when at one time perhaps that year was one we were not expecting to be here. 

I remember a friend with cancer (who is no longer with us) looking at stable being good, when I felt stable was disappointing wanting further reductions. Looking at things another way though if we feel no worse physically in ourselves when not a complete responder any amount left is perhaps nothing to be disappointed about and we can celebrate those 3 good things a day or more we hope. 

Take care KT

• Yes you are right. Now I know the situation I will continue to try to make the most of everyday. My husband and I try to find things to do eg walking ,visiting local towns and villages ,walking along the coast and going to garden centres.

i have just been to Ludlow for 3 nights but on second day overdid the walking ( 9 miles ) and it made my leg swell with having lymphodema so will be more aware in the future my limitations. I keep repeating how lucky we are to have these treatments. I hope you are well yourself.

Lgrgdg90