Elderly Mum Melanoma metastised 12 new cluster in area of Primary

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi everyone

My 93 year old Mum had a melanoma on her right arm removed 2 years ago and had one further lump appeared in October 2020. This was again removed, however, after a Pet scan she was also diagnosed with a small upper bowel tumour and  recurring melanoma in her right arm. She refused any further surgery or treatment as she suffered badly after her first op and has been through such a lot. She was given a prognosis of 12 months by the dermatology doctor,  although we did not see an Oncologist. The Dermatology doctor requested her GP organise palliative care, for her, but at the moment she has no serious symptoms, apart from the new melanoma nodules. So they have not got involved yet. 

More recently  a cluster of 12 new, quite large (half inch) red raised nodules have appeared near the site of her Primary melanoma. These are getting bigger each week. They look awful, but are not sore at the moment. 

Apart from that she is well, but frail, with no other major medical problems. She has 4 carers every day visit her at the moment. 

Since she has opted for no further treatment, I am unable to discuss Mum's worsening problems with any dermatology professional who understands her melanoma.  I feel quite exposed, trying to help her but not understanding what steps I can take to help her. I also don't know what to expect. Are these nodules going to get much worse, or cause pain or bleeding? 

I would appreciate some guidance on what to expect next and how to get any help she may need.  

Thanks in advance.

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that a new cluster of nodules have appeared near the site of your mum's original melanoma and I can understand what a distressing time this must be for both of you.

As your mum has opted not to have treatment for her melanoma her GP will be the person who is responsible for her care and should be your first point of contact to discuss your mum's worsening symptoms.

Once your GP has referred your mum to the local palliative care team then they will be able to assess your mum and help with things like pain management, etc.

You might like to look at joining the supporting someone with incurable cancer group as this will give you the opportunity to talk to other people who have a loved one with an incurable diagnosis about practical issues like palliative care. If this is something that you'd like to do clicking on the link I've created will take you there where you can then join and post in the same way as you did here.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you for your help. I will indeed join the link you provided, best regards.