very tender scalp due too chemo...suggestions?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 311 subscribers

hi everyone.my mum is undergoing chemo (docetaxel /taxotere) and is suffering a very tender and painful scalp as her hair begins too fall out. has anyone got any suggestions or tips that we could try that may help?would greatly appreciate it!i understand the hair loss is inevitable,but thought there might be tips to make her scalp less painful?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Someone posted before that putting soluble paracetamol on to your head worked. Have not tried it myself as I just decided is was toouvh bother and hady fair shaved to a number 3. That stopped it !!! Good luck x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

thanks!will pass that on too her! did it hurt shaving?mums worried it will be painfull

• FormerMember

hey, 

I opted for shaving, when my hair started to fall out. When we shaved it, it was sort of loose anyway, and it came out really easily. So, I would be surprised if it hurt her.

I imagine the weight of the hair as is might be painful, so she may well be better off having it shaved. 

As for pain relief, I'd try a bag of frozen peas (in a towel, so as not to burn her skin). And then use some E45 to gently massage into the scalp. That should have a soothing cooling effect. 

Dorothee xx

• FormerMember

Hi, my scalp was really painful after I started chemotherapy and as I wasn't going to use the cold cap, I decided to have my hair shaved off. My hairdresser took it down to 1/4 and it did't hurt at all. Having the hair taken off felt much, much better and I had no more pain.

I know other people have used soluble paracetemol but for me, just getting rid of the hair was enough and I've had no problems with it since.

Good luck whatever your mum decides.

Shelley xx

• FormerMember

Mine was sore when mine decided to go, was quite long, so shaved it to about 1" and still have alot of that 1" after 3 chemo sessions, do have some patches that are slightly bald though !

When I wash it, I uses a very mild shampoo, and I have found Tea tree conditioner really soothing on the scalp. 

It hasnt got sore at all after my 3rd chemo, and Im due another one in two days time, so, not sure if it was the tea tree conditioner or not, but maybe worth a try.

Wendy

• FormerMember
    Hi As all the others have said, having your hair shaved off does not hurt. The lady who cut my wig did it for me. It was a bit of a shock to see myself with the shortest hair ever but great not to find it in the sink/bath/pillow and no more itching/pulling sensation. My grandchild,8, saw me wigless this weekend and said I looked a bit like a boy, a pretty boy, but a boy. Bless kids ... You can trust their honesty! BUT. On the positive side she said I looked like Nanny Sue(me) with my wig on and kept getting it for me when we went out... So at least I now the wig looks good. I am sure your Mum fill be ok whatever she decides. She is lucky to have you, keep up the good work sweet pea.x
  • FormerMember

thank you to all of you! mum decided to do the shave,unfortunatly it really hurt and she was in tears but now its done and she is almost painfree on her scalp.

we shaved mine mostly off today.

• FormerMember

Hi bubalugs

My scalp is really hurting too I'm inbetween 1/2 of my chemo and the tenderness is really bad and waking me up .

I'm glad your mum feels better and not so uncomfortable and a big hug for you for shaving your head too people who do that for cancer patients are amazing 

I wish your my luck and loads of love and hugs

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there, I just read your post want to know about your mom! How is your mother doing recently? Is she out of treatments or still getting treatments for cancer?