Pip question

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi I'm new here so go easy with me. I have a grade 3 brain cancer and I've seen some people who have had pip backdated right the way to diagnosis. Could anyone advise if they've had this happen please? Any help is gratefully received. 

• Hi Ben22

Welcome to the forum, though I'm sorry you find yourself in the position of having to find the it. I hope you find that folk here do go easy and will try to help in anyway they can. 

I applied for PIP after I was first diagnosed and the claim was rejected. This was around 4 years ago. In Jan this year I went to the Citizens Advice to ask about benefits again, in relation to pension credits (I'm not working and receive no state benefits, so wondered how I would stand for a pension, should I get to that age). They said that I should be getting PIP and rang DWP there and then to get the form for me. When it arrived I made another appointment with CAB. I was there over 2 hours but they completed the full form form me. When it went through the slow cogs of DWP the award was made this time. It was backdated to the date of the phone call in Jan this year. I am not aware of any state benefit (except possibly child benefit) that is backdated to before the date you first apply for it. If I recall the form correctly it does not ask for a date of diagnosis.

I believe that Macmillan offers a similar service to offer advice/help with completion of the form. I'd strongly recommend you make use of one of these services - they have a lot more experience in completing these forms than most of us who are unfortunate enough to have to complete them. 

Good luck

Tracy

• Hi Ben22. Welcome to the group hopefully you will find some amazing support from real life experience's. 

If unfortunately you have a terminal diagnosis there is a special form you can get through the hospital or your GP I think it's a DS1500. This form is a speedy one you would hear within couple of weeks about the claim. I am sure the PIP only pays from date of the claim not date of diagnosis. Hope this helps. 

As per other reply the Macmillan dept at the hospital where you receive treatment will help you with this and any other claims. You may also be able to get ESA for instance. 

Madesp 
  • Hi Ben22. Welcome to the group hopefully you will find some amazing support from real life experience's. 

If unfortunately you have a terminal diagnosis there is a special form you can get through the hospital or your GP I think it's a DS1500. This form is a speedy one you would hear within couple of weeks about the claim. I am sure the PIP only pays from date of the claim not date of diagnosis. Hope this helps. 

As per other reply the Macmillan dept at the hospital where you receive treatment will help you with this and any other claims. You may also be able to get ESA for instance. 

DS1500 is a form that may be requested by patients or their representatives that sets out some medical facts relating to people with cancer (and other progressive, life limiting conditions). ... If a patient is suffering from such an illness can claim certain benefits under what are termed as 'special rules'.

Madesp