diet change ?

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi buddies,

Did anyone change their diet to try and have less painful poos towards the end of treatment ?  Just wondering if I go onto nutrament liquid instead of wholemeal toast and usual meat and two veg will it be less sore ? 

Sarah.

• Hi  I ditched the brown rice & bread, fruit and most vegetables early on in treatment, a low fibre diet definitely helped with toilet time but then I had diarrhoea and was going quite a bit. If you have swung the other way then a higher fibre diet would be better for you. Bev 

• Hi 

As I’ve said previously I swung completely the opposite way to most during treatment & suffered constipation, although I wonder if part of this was due to internal inflammation & the space to pass anything being compromised! I had to take stool softeners (still take 1-2 daily) & eat a high fibre diet to keep things on the soft side. I understand the pain you’re suffering but is this due to frequency of BM’s & diarrhoea or the fact that you’re struggling to pass anything that’s causing the discomfort? 

Nicola

• Hi, thanks Nicola and Bev for your support,  it is different for everyone isn't it.

The reason it's sore is because my bum is ragged and bleeding from the radiotherapy. My stools are more or less the same so far, but pale and undigested. I go about 5 times a day, it feels like i'm passing a rolling pin made of acid. However the pain only lasts a few minutes at most. I'm sleeping ok. I'm on the full whack of paracetamol now and am starting to add in the ibuprofen at night. The nurse offered me the opiate one but I don't want to be constipated, that would be very painful I think, she said you start taking laxatives before you take the opiate but it all sounds a bit full on so I am hoping to ride it out.

I just wondered if you just ate rice crispies and complan it might be less rough on the old sphincter.  I'm counting down the days now, I finish on 24th.

Sarah.

• PS this membrane stuff she has given me is awkward but very good, its called Polymem, you smooth it over your bits and have tight long leg pants to hold it on and it protects and soothes everything. Seems to work.

• Hi again ,

I’m not sure if a change such as this would make a difference to be honest as you’re still going to be forming stools I suppose aren’t you? If your BM’s are stable although more frequent do you think making them softer would ease the discomfort? I completely understand the soreness that your explaining, I think we’ve all been there towards the end of treatment. I was warned to keep away from laxatives even though I was constipated & was prescribed laxido & the likes just to ease the way. Yes don’t be afraid of adding in the ibuprofen but I’d advise on taking loperamide to protect your stomach also. It’s good that you’re sleeping ok too, luckily I didn’t have many issues in that department either. I’m pleased you’ve also got the Polymem sorted & it’s doing the job. 

Nicola