Hints and tips to deal with side effects

• 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Ok so on week 4 of treatment and dealing with very sore lady parts and bottom. On co-codeamol, intrasite gel, scheroproct and zerobase with swabs to clean. Drinking lots of water and showers help. Have green pus which I think is supposed to be ok and managing BM with laxidol. Very sore, itchy, uncomfortable generally. I am due to take antihistamine but need prescription filled. Anything else I can do to help with the skin soreness? Dx

• Hi  the only other thing I can think of are salt baths. I had 3 a day and they helped enormously with the soreness. You can use regular table salt. In relation to the itching, others have used Piriton hay fever tablets. You can buy them over the counter but you will need check with your treating team that you can take them in conjunction with your other medication. Bev. 

• Thanks Bev been showering so far but will try out the salt baths. Think the team will be giving me pirotin this time for the itching. Have to say reading others still dealing with these side effects 10 weeks plus on is depressing me greatly. Just need some sleep - got more sleep when I was breast feeding my kids!! Dx

• Hi 

Sorry you are struggling, awful isn’t it!! A couple of tips from me…. Make sure you air the area a lot. I had long nighty so I could put my legs up and air with dignity. Also beware of the salt baths once your sores are open! It could make you more sore, it did me then I realised……

Fingers crossed you get through it all soon x 

• Hi  go easy on the salt and make sure the water isn’t too warm. I found them very healing. I also had them after giving birth with the stitches and they worked well then too. Bev. X