USA Travel insurance - pre-surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hello,

I've recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and as such have not received a date for my surgery yet.  However, it should be in the next 4wks with Radiotherapy/Chemo starting end February.  I have a trip that I am so looking forward to booked to USA earlier part of Feb  so at least a couple of weeks before my treatments. 

I did ask my care team/consultant regarding cancelling the trip, and they advised me to still go ahead, so now I need to find Travel Insurance for the USA to cover me.  

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions of providers providing cover for someone pre-surgery at a reasonable cost  - I guess (although not really sure how to quantify this) reasonable from reading the chat so far would possibly be around or less than £500.

If anyone has feedback regarding this it would be very much appreciated (I did have a look through the posts so far, but did not see anything regarding pre-surgery). Thanks so much.

Rilke .. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've recently been diagnosed with breast cancer but that sounds like a great trip that you've booked.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the Member's Stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would cover you when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and planned treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of common questions that insurers might ask when you're applying for insurance. Some insurers might ask for a letter from your doctor to prove that they have given you permission to travel.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced travel insurance and that you have a great holiday in Florida. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

How have you got on phoning around for travel insurance?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"