USA travel insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 18 subscribers

I have recently been diagnosed with cancer in the lymph nodes left armpit. Tomorrow I have the last test to clarify if similar problem on right side. Because of ‘outstanding investigations’ my annual travel insurer will not cover me. I am due to travel to Florida with 8 other family members on 9th May for three weeks. Can anyone advise re an insurer who might accept cover under these circumstances?

unfortunately results of tomorrow’s test will be discussed by local MDT (multi discipline team) on the date of my departure, 9th. It has been indicated that the likely direction would be for ‘bilateral auxiliary dissections’ sometime after my return from holiday.

• Hi  and welcome to the travel insurance group

Unfortunately finding reasonably priced travel insurance for a cancer patient can be more difficult than it should be.

Have a look through the Recommended Travel Insurance thread as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance? If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you to it and you might find some companies that you haven't tried yet.

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as it's easier to explain to someone than try to do it online. 

The USA is one of a few places that you must have good travel insurance and I do hope that you can get travel insurance to cover your trip.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thank you for your help. I managed to find the list of companies previously posted. Unfortunately my telephone enquiries meet the same brick wall i.e. I await an outstanding test/result. As a consequence they will not offer cover. I am still searching. Thanks.

• Sorry to hear this but I am not that surprised.

Last summer was the first time in 5 years that I was able to get insurance at a good price, only for Europe for the two of us for the year for £135.

During these 5 years it’s was £2000+ for 14 days or nothing - so we saw the sights of the UK.......but I was also not allowed in a plain :(

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I am sorry to read of your insurance problems and thought that this might be of interest to you in your search

WHICH

This is the Which report on Travel Insurance and gives some useful information that I've not come across anywhere else, worth looking at ALL sections.

One of the sections I found interesting was that 85% of UK insurance companies use 1 medical screening sysyem which could mean you're being screened the same way for many of the companies you've tried, the other 15% use a different method of medical screening and could come up with different figures especially the ones who do 1 to 1 screening, for more information see this 

Medical screening

One thing that should be remembered that every time you get a quote this is recorded on the insurance bureau database and possibly appear on your credit score.

Have you tried your bank/building society to see if you have free insurance with your account and try the cancer aspect as an add on.

I do hope this helps and hope that you are successful in getting away on holiday.

Good luck.

Ian

By clicking on the green text above will open up new pages for you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Ian,

I am just back from my fine needle aspiration on my right side, indications being that ‘there is something there’. Unfortunately the results are unlikely to be available before my intended departure date. Therein lies the problem!

Thanks for the help via Which etc. I have tried All Clear and Avanti so far but just hit a dead end when I explain where I am in the system. At the moment it looks like my wife, daughters and grandchildren will carry on with the trip and I will need to stay behind until I get the results and attempt to renegotiate my way through the screening process. It is a three week trip so I will still have time get there.Stay positive.

mick

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Update on above. Today I managed to get insurance for my trip at an exorbitant cost of £2,500+ with All Clear one of the companies I had previously been unsuccessful with. This time I went via BIBA and had a better description of my diagnosis and it seemed to make a difference. It is an annual policy but still subject to any changes in condition, medication, treatment etc.

mick

• It is what it is Mick, but have a great trip.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge