Mum has lung cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Hello

I'm new here and I'm not sure where to start.  My Dad passed away quite suddenly two weeks ago of secondary liver cancer and my mum has stage 4 lung cancer (adenocarcinoma).  I feel like I've not had time to grieve for my Dad properly as I live with my Mum with my two teenage daughters.  My Mum is in hospital with an infection and fluid on her lungs.  She comes home tomorrow and I'm worried I won't cope emotionally.

I'm anxious and constantly feel panicked.  I just don't know what to expect or how long my Mum may have.  I have cried every day and nothing prepares you for the pain and heartache.

Thank you!

A x

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear the journey you and your family have been on.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and questions on all the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

Can I first direct you to this link to our very supportive Lung Cancer group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link I have created then hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

As I was the person with the cancer my experience of supporting someone is very limited, although my wife has been amazing over my 20 years. You may also find our Carers Only and Friends and Family groups to be good places where you can connect with others support family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other.

We also have our Bereaved Family and Friends group - a very supportive area of the Community.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge